Forum Discussion

Parthiv108
New Contributor
8 years ago

Unable to simulate "tab" key navigation on Oracle forms

Hi,

I am testing a Oracle Forms 11g application using TestComplete 12.10.590.7

The "Keys" operation with the "[Tab]" value does not work on a text field. Its supposed to trigger navigation of the cursor to the next text field. However the applet hangs when this command is run.

The tab key triggers validation and failure to execute this action ruins the flow of the test that was recorded.

Another intermittent issue is that when a value is set in a text field (using setText operation), it is not recognized by the application and get an error that the field value must be entered.

Any ideas on any of the issues mentioned above? The "Tab" key issue is quite critical.

7 Replies

shankar_r
    Community Hero

Are you able to do the same action manually?. If Yes, then you try the below method instead of Keys

WshShell.SendKeys("{TAB}");

HarnekSandhu
    Occasional Contributor

We use a common function in our test framework for Oracle Forms testing.

In that function, we use the SetText function of the target object to insert values. Then we use the Keys function to send a TAB. This has worked well since TestComplete version 7 to 12.

Also, you may consider adding a small delay or checking for some object availability after the TAB is sent as it may trigger some processing.

Harnek

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

You can also, after using SetText, call the specific "OnExit" event handler on the field if it is exposed to TestComplete. Again, that negates the need for calling the "Tab" keystroke directly.

Parthiv108
      New Contributor

just an update, that this a very intermittent issue. I also notice that the oracle forms application hangs (intermittently) when i put breakpoint after the Keys "[Tab]" operation.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Parthiv108 wrote:

just an update, that this a very intermittent issue. I also notice that the oracle forms application hangs (intermittently) when i put breakpoint after the Keys "[Tab]" operation.

Is it possible, then, that the problem is not necessarily with the automation but with the application itself?  Does the behavior occur if TestComplete is not running and you attempt to tab to the next field in a manual test?