Forum Discussion

VFixed
Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Unable to rename test

I am on TC 11.11.1064.7

A created a new test to replace an existing test. 

I removed the existing test from the tree in the project explorer.

I opened the "Organize Tests" window and removed the existing test from there.

I moved the new test to the proper place on the tree.

I attempt to rename the new test to the same name as the old test. I get "A file with the name "x" already exists on disk at this location.

Where am I not deleting the original test? I need to get past this error.

Thanks.

• Hello VFixed,

This likely means that the test was removed from the Project Explorer in TestComplete, but not deleted from the Project folder.

Remove.png

To actually delete the file so you can reuse that test name, open your Project folder in Windows Explorer, find the KeywordTests folder, then delete the file with the name you want to reuse.

-Dan

7 Replies

SmartBearDan
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hello VFixed,

This likely means that the test was removed from the Project Explorer in TestComplete, but not deleted from the Project folder.

Remove.png

To actually delete the file so you can reuse that test name, open your Project folder in Windows Explorer, find the KeywordTests folder, then delete the file with the name you want to reuse.

-Dan

SmartBearDan
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Yes, use the "Delete" button instead of "Remove".

VFixed
        Contributor

I must be deleting wrong. Where is the delete button on this menu?

VFixed
      Contributor

That did the trick. Thanks!

So the 'remove' function doesn't remove the test from the keywordtests folder where it is housed?

Is there a way to delete/remove within TC that DOES remove the test from that folder? Otherwise I have to manually go in and delete every time.

JP_603
        Occasional Contributor

After you choose remove from the menu and that popup window comes up choose delete instead of remove and that will remove the test as well as delete it from the folder on your computer. You will get another prompt telling you that it will be removed from the computer are you sure you want to do this.