Forum Discussion

smskrishna
Occasional Contributor
14 years ago

Testcomplete support for SAP application

Hi,

I wanted know whether testcomplete can automate SAP applications.

15 Replies

• If you have the SAP client installed on your workstation, you can take advantage of the SAP GUI Scripting API. This needs to be enabled on the SAP Server. Then you can simply record your actions in the SAP Client and save as VBScript. We then ported these scripts to JScript.

We created a separate framework around the SAP GUI script API to perform the actions we needed to perform. The SAP GUI API is very robust.

Good luck.
  • Hi,

I'm considering a new job where SAP will be used.  I was wondering if the SAP support has been extended more or if anyone has more specific issues or workaround they found.  I've been using TestComplete for 10 years and really like it and would love to take it to the next position if I could.

John
      mgroen2
      Super Contributor

johnginajohnson wrote:
      Hi,

I'm considering a new job where SAP will be used.  I was wondering if the SAP support has been extended more or if anyone has more specific issues or workaround they found.  I've been using TestComplete for 10 years and really like it and would love to take it to the next position if I could.

John

Hi johnginajohnson

I am in the same position... considering a new job where SAP is used also... is there anyone who could give an update on TestComplete's updated support for SAP GUI ?

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Siva,

Yes, it can.

Most probably, there will be no access to the extended properties and you might have problems with identification of drop-down lists, trees, etc. but the chances are high that some workarounds are possible with the OCR, Text Recognition, MSAA functionality of TestComplete.

The best approach is give it a try.
      krupa_luke
      Occasional Contributor

Hi Alex,

Without direct SAP object add-in/support, I would not say that "Yes, it can." is an honest answer.

Sure, I do not argue that you can indeed use text recognition, OCR, etc...but that's  true about any environment while the question was clearly directed to confirm or disconfirm the real SAP support from testComplete.

Besides... although walkarounds can be found here and there almost at every test automation projects, IMHO it is unwise to start one knowing that most of your object identifications/operations will have to be built upon them. I think that it is one of the main reasons, people buy UFT, testComplete or Ranorex licenses instead of using Selenium, Sikuli or other freeWare tools with mostly unsupported environments.

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

Documentation keeps mum about SAP support, so I think no special support exists. Helen or Tanya should be able to provide official answer.

As for possibility to test, a lot of depends on the tested application itself.

For example, more then ten years ago, using TestComplete 2 and 3 we automated some application with all controls been custom ones, so TestComplete was able to recognize only windows and buttons. But! This application was initially oriented to support manual data input as best as possible. This resulted in the great shortcuts system, excellent manual navigation in tables, great manual operations with combo-boxes, etc. Using this, we were able to implement 'semi-blind' navigation and control, when test code executed several actions and then verified whether expected result was obtained. And this worked and worked pretty stable and without false negatives/positives.

Another example is with MS Access application (discussed here several years ago): while TestComplete provides no special support for MS Access, using properly set MSAA and following advice provided by Support, I was able to automate sample Access application.

To my knowledge, only UFT provides support for SAP and, if the one has a license for both TestComplete and UFT, the chances with UFT look better. But if only TestComplete license is available, I would try it with SAP, play with MSAA and check if I can access controls that I need for tests.

• Hi Siva,

I would like to add that we have a suggestion in our DB to implement extended support for SAP applications, and your message has increased its rating.
  • I would like to add to the SmartBear DB to add SAP extended support.  I'm forced to use another testing tool for SAP automated testing.
  • Hi Dan

can you please elaborate on the framework which was used for SAP GUI API as i have a  requirement of testing a SAP Application using the SAP TAO tool integrated with Quality Center.

Since most of our non-SAP  Application are being tested  using test complete.we are evaluating whether test complete can also be used for SAP Application using SAP GUI/ SAP TAO Tool.

mgroen2
    Super Contributor
    Hi,

Thanks for your reaction, alex

It helps me to think about alternative approaches, like keyword navigation methods, to navigate through the ui...
    But I think validation possibilities are limited because of lack of object recognition....just have to try and find out, I guess...

You mentioned playing with MSAA... what exactly is msaa?
      AlexKaras
      Champion Level 3

Hi,

> what exactly is msaa? 

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/object-identification/improving/using-microsoft-active-accessibility/index.html

(Smartbear's documentation is awesome as it provides a lot of information not only about the tool itself, but also about related technologies and approaches ;) )

> [...] I think validation possibilities are limited because of lack of object recognition

Sure, with the application from my first example, it was not possible to use, say, object checkpoints. But windows (forms) with their captions were identified, so it was possible to verify that the expected form is opened. Also we had access to control's content (by selecting control's value and copying it to the clipboard), so it was possible to do a validation and/or navigate to the required record in the table.

With Assess things were much simpler. The only case it that objects tree in the Object Browser becomes significantly larger with some objects been duplicated (because some of them can be identified as, for example, a regular button and MSAA button) and MSAA identifiers are usually less descriptive comparing to the regular ones.