Forum Discussion

jose_pita
Super Contributor
10 years ago

TestExecute with remote desktop VS distributed tests

Hi There,

I've been working with TC for almost 2 years now but this bit has always troubled me...

I have several machines with testexecute that I want my tests to run all day long, what are my options to:

1-keep working on testcomplete on my machine (does distributed testing allow this?)

2-Use remote desktop or teamviewer to start the tests but prevent the user session from ending when I close RD or TV (this one I haven't been able to figure out).

Anyone has this working?

5 Replies

MikeSchmid
    Occasional Contributor
    I run multiple Remote Desktops to use Test Execute.  I did have some issues at first due to minimizing the RD.  Once it is minimized it no longer recognizes it as a gui interface and my test would stop working.  I made an easy registry entry to solve it.  Hope this helps you.

• Log in to the computer from which you connect to remote computers (if you are not logged in yet).

• Close all open Remote Desktop sessions.

• Click Start and select Run. In the Run dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. The Registry Editor starts.

• Navigate to one of the following Registry keys, depending on whether you wish to modify the Remote Desktop settings only for the current user or for all users on the computer:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client

• Create a DWORD value named RemoteDesktop_SuppressWhenMinimized and set it to 2.

• Close the Registry Editor.

jose_pita
    Super Contributor
    Mike Schmidt - already did that, but the tests run real slowly and throw a lot of exceptions not thrown on testcomplete

@R. Gratis- Just tried that and it does not work. I'm on windows 8 on both machines.
  • I use VNC Viewer to view tests running on remote machines running Test Execute.

It doesn't interfere with the GUI the same way was viewing via RD does. You can go in, start a test, close the VNC window and the test is unaffected and continues to run.