Forum Discussion

szein
Occasional Contributor
14 years ago

TestComplete cannot find objects during execution of recorded web tests

hello,

Currently we are using testcomplete to do functional testing for our ASP.NET, database dirven application. i record the test using "record script" option, and it works fine with me. However, sometimes when i run the test, i get the error that testcomplete cannot find certain object (element)!! and when i re-run the same test, it finds it (sometimes). i don't know why this happens, when i make recording , it goes very well, but later on, when i run the test, it does not find objects(object does not exist), even though it is there.

i tried looking in the help, but i got lost with the so many options. i donno from where to start!

Thanks

Sam

2 Replies

• Hi Sam,

The most probable reason for the behavior is that your Name Mapping scheme uses unreliable properties for object identification. So, check whether the mapping criteria are sufficient to recognize the problematic objects and modify the mapping criteria if they are not. If this suggestion does not help, follow the steps below:

1. Insert the following routine call in your test before retrieving the problematic object (change the process name):

LogAppStructure(Sys.Process("MyProcessName"))

Here is the LogAppStructure routine code:

' VBScript

Sub LogAppStructure(obj)

Err.Clear

On Error Resume Next

Dim count, i, Str

ReDim params(7)

params(0) = "WndClass"

params(1) = "WndCaption"

params(2) = "Index"

params(3) = "Visible"

params(4) = "Exists"

params(5) = "ClrFullClassName"

params(6) = "ProductName"

params(7) = "ProductVersion" 

Str = ""

For i = 0 To UBound(params)

If IsSupported(obj, params(i)) Then

Str = Str & params(i) & " = " & VarToStr(Eval("obj." & params(i))) & VbCrLf

End If

Next

Call Log.AppendFolder(obj.Name, Str)

For i = 0 To obj.ChildCount - 1

Call LogAppStructure(obj.Child(i))

Next

Log.PopLogFolder

On Error GoTo 0

End Sub

// JScript, C#Script

function LogAppStructure(obj)

{

var count, i, Str;

var params = new Array();

params.push("WndClass");

params.push("WndCaption");

params.push("Index");

params.push("VisibleOnScreen");

params.push("Exists");

params.push("Visible");

params.push("FullName");

params.push("ClrFullClassName");

Str = "";

for (var i = 0; i < params.length; i++) {

if (IsSupported(obj, params))

Str += params + " = " + VarToStr(eval("obj." + params)) + "\r\n";

}

Log.AppendFolder(obj.Name, Str);

for (var i = 0; i < obj.ChildCount; i++) {

LogAppStructure(obj.Child(i));

}

Log.PopLogFolder();

}

2. Execute your test and reproduce the "Object not found" problem. The LogAppStructure function will post the entire structure of the tested application to the test log, and you will be able to see how objects are recognized right before the problem occurs.

3. If you fail to find the cause of the problem by using the test log, zip your entire TestComplete project suite folder along with the log of the test execution and send me the archive via our Contact Support form (http://www.automatedqa.com/support/message). Make sure that messages in your log correspond to correct actions in the latest version of your test.

brudnick
    Occasional Contributor
    Hey,

If you are starting the test application via application defined in "TestedApps", be sure to add "TestedApps.CloseAll()" at the bottom of each script.  This solved a lot of my problems with not finding objects.

Barb