Forum Discussion

DavidWoods
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago

TestComplete/TestExecute Drop-downs

Good morning,

I am testing our config tool here at EMS and we have an issue with testing in TestComplete/TestExecute

The problem appears to stem from Drop-down boxes/Combo boxes with a number of discrete values, thus:

Enable

Disable 

Timed

Now the issue is that values are changed in our tests, however there is a time-lag of up to several seconds before the item changes, due to communication between the config tool and some hardware, and manifests itself in a test recorded with TestComplete not correctly playing-back in either TestComplete or TestExecute (version 12.50)

If you perform the same operation by hand and simply wait the 5 seconds or so, everything works fine, however playing back with SmartBear TestComplete or TestExecute results in the value flipping back to its original value instead of changing.

I am wondering how I can approach testing this in TestComplete/TestExecute?

One factor, possibly, is that no items in the Cell Grid (see attached screenshot) is named, and I have been informed by someone who is a tester that all fields should be named to aid/enable testing.

Grateful for your thoughts

Regards

David Woods

EMS

5 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

It is definitely helpful to have named fields when you are testing.

That being said, in the case you are describing, the timing is something you will have to play around with.  There are various ways to wait on something to be available before you use it.  WaitChild is common.  

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/app-objects/common-tasks/waiting-process-or-window-activation.html

If you know 5 seconds is always enough, you can build that in to the wait and have the test time out after that.  You may need to go a little higher just to be sure.

DavidWoods
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the advice

I am in meetings all of last week and this week as well - and working this Saturday, so very limited time to check whether named fields alone will solve this problem.

Our meetings may also stretch into next week, so I will be able to give more feedback sometime next week - sorry for the delay and thanks again for replying to my post.

Best Regards

David Woods

Manfred_F
    Regular Contributor

the issue is to determine, when Your app is really ready for input.

This can be complicated. I've got the same type of issue and solved it by observing the cursor type (changing from wait to normal and back several times) and additionally wait a little.

Of course, this can be solved by waiting a sufficient long time, but what would be sufficient?

Can Your user somehow recognize, that the app is ready for input? Then You could use the same criterion for automation..

Regards,

Manfred

DavidWoods
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the advice, Manfred

I am in meetings all of last week and this week as well - and working this Saturday, so very limited time to check whether observing the cursor type and waiting a sufficient time will solve this problem.

Our meetings may also stretch into next week, so I will be able to give more feedback sometime next week - sorry for the delay and thanks again for replying to my post.

Best Regards