Forum Discussion

frank_vanderstr
Contributor
8 years ago

TestComplete Application Closes on Script run

Today I booted up TC to start testing some error handling for my test scripts and I ran into something I haven't seen before.

Regardless of what script I try to run, TC will minimize and display the playback window like normal, but none of the script actually gets executed. I cannot press the Pause or Stop buttons, and after about a minute or so, TC will just close, no error report to send or anything.

I am on version 12.10.590.7 and have checked for any available updates. My scripts have also not changed since Friday when I last updated some and ran them.

With no error messages I am stumped as to what could be causing this, has anyone experienced the same thing or something similar?

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Well, the inability to click on any buttons could be that the project properties for what you're running are set to Disable the mouse...  Select the project in your project explorer and then select Tools -> Current Project Properties.  Find the "Playback" option and make sure Disable mouse is unchecked.

When you are "running" your scripts, what are you selecting? The button on the tool bar across the top of TestComplete, by default, runs either a full project suite or the currently selected project. Is it possible that the project file or the project suite file has somehow been edited to not have anything enabled to actually run?

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    Actually... quick note... I missed the part where you said that TestComplete itself shut down. That's really rather odd.

Are you using some sort of source control for your automation code? If so, is it possible that your project is missing some necessary files? It almost sounds like something got corrupted in your project that is causing TC to dump out somehow.

Try, also, running TC as Admin, just to see if it works better that way...
      frank_vanderstr
      Contributor

The source control we use for our scripts is Tortoise GIT, and a current pull shows what I am using is up to date, and through looking the files over I don't seem to missing anything.

Disable Mouse is also not enabled for any of my projects.

I have tried running both the full project of test scripts as well as individual scripts by opening the script and pressing the run button. Running TC as an admin also did not do anything to help, I was hoping I could at least get an error message out of it.

frank_vanderstr
        Contributor

So it turns out the issue has stopped happening. Not sure what it could have been, most I did was close a few script tabs, saved, closed without running a script, re-open TC, make an edit and save, and scripts run without a problem now.