Forum Discussion

nish_b
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

TestComplete: A way to make TestComplete Automation Scripts run in background

Hi All,

I am automating tests using JavaScripts. I understand that these are UI tests and need the browser to be up while tests are running to avoid any errors during the execution of the script.

But, I lose significant amount of time, while running the tests. Is there a possibility that if I connect to an external monitor and move the current browser window (in which tests are running), to the monitor and then I resume my work on my local laptop?

Or are there any other better suggestions which will allow me to script/work while the automation script is running on the browser. Please help!

• Unfortunately, even moving to another monitor is not a solution.  It's not the monitor that is the "control", it's the windows keyboard and mouse interrupts.  So, moving your mouse or typing on your keyboard will interrupt your automation.

What most people do is have a SEPARATE environment for test execution than you do for test development.  Virtual machines are good for that, using the TestExecute application to launch your test there.

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, even moving to another monitor is not a solution.  It's not the monitor that is the "control", it's the windows keyboard and mouse interrupts.  So, moving your mouse or typing on your keyboard will interrupt your automation.

What most people do is have a SEPARATE environment for test execution than you do for test development.  Virtual machines are good for that, using the TestExecute application to launch your test there.

sonya_m
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Thanks tristaanogre :smileyhappy:

Hi nish_b , did you have a chance to try the approach tristaanogre suggests? Or, maybe you’ve found another way to solve this. Please share your progress with us.