Forum Discussion

Nick_Tulett
New Contributor
14 years ago

Support for prototypal inheritance in JScript broken in 7.52

I'd like to write a script in JScript that uses prototypal inheritance, such as:

Object["create"] = function (o) {  

function F() {}  

F["prototype"] = o;  

return new F();  

};

function BaseObject(name) {

this["name"] = name;

}

BaseObject["prototype"] = {

writeName: function () {

Log["Message"](this["name"]);

},

changeName: function (newName) {

this["name"] = newName;

}

}

function NobleObject(name) {

BaseObject["call"](this, name);

this["rank"] = "noble";

}

NobleObject["prototype"] = Object["create"](BaseObject["prototype"]);

NobleObject["prototype"]["changeRank"] = function (newRank) {

this["rank"] = newRank;

}

NobleObject["prototype"]["writeRank"] = function () {

Log["Message"](this["rank"]);

}

function testObjects() {

myBase = new BaseObject("testBO");

myBase["writeName"]();

myBase["changeName"]("newTestBO");

myBase["writeName"]();       

myNoble = new NobleObject("testNO");

myNoble["writeName"]();

myNoble["writeRank"]();

myNoble["changeName"]("newTestNO");

myNoble["writeName"]();       

myNoble["changeRank"]("tarnished");

myNoble["writeRank"]();       

}

This is valid JScript and runs on TC 5 but TC 7.52 flags the changeRank method as being a duplicate method name (presumably it's confused by the "prototype" call). Could we please remove this check from JScript scripts as it is broken?

In a similar vein, the Code Explorer only shows the "constructor" functions and not any of the prototype functions. Can this be fixed, too?

3 Replies

• It looks like you're a fan of Douglas Crockford's work.  May I ask why you're using subscript notation?  Have you tried using prototype in dot notation?  Maybe that's where it's breaking.  We're using a library that uses prototypal inheritance and it's working fine in TC 7.52.

• Thanks, it does seem to work with dot notation. Though I still consider the editor to be broken as this is a regression from v5.

I prefer subscript as it allows me to see my method names more easily in the editor and on the rare occasion that I actually need to parameterise them, it makes it trivial.

And, yes, Crock is the man.

Another question I meant to ask AQA was whether I can replace the creaky old JScript engine with something a bit more modern, such as SpiderMonkey or V8?
  • I use subscript notation for a bit of metaprogramming so you can continue to use it, just don't use it when you call prototype:

e.g., NobleObject.prototype
    = Object["create"](BaseObject.prototype);

It should still work with that change.

As for the JScript replacement for SpiderMonkey or V8, I think TestComplete is pretty much married with (Microsoft) JScript.  Any change to the engine could break backwards compatibility, but still a good question to ask AQA.

AQA: Can JScript engine be replaced in the foreseeable future?