Forum Discussion

Yusufm87
Contributor
5 years ago

Support for Microsoft Hierarchical Flex Grid

Hi,

We are trying to automate a VB application. It has a Microsoft Hierarchical flex grid control that is not recognized by test complete.

It is different than the Flex control that is supported by TestComplete.

I need to know if we can automate this grid and what would be required to make it work.

If anyone has any solutions please reach out to me.

Thanks,

Yusuf

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Anything can be automated, just a matter of how much work you put into it.

For example, while the specific control cannot be recognized as an "open" control with all it's wonderful features, you can probably navigate it using keystrokes and so on.  I've had to do that with some old VB grids where, while I could not view the internals, I could navigate with keystrokes and get some validation of the text visible in the grid.

So, what I'd suggest is to look for alternative ways to navigate and utilize the grid.  Keep in mind that, for the most part, your goal is not to test the component itself but to test the functionality of the application.  So, while you may not be exercising the component fully, you can at least make sure that the application functions.

sonya_m
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Yusufm87 , I see that you replied straight to the email notification, this answer was not posted to the thread. Following up on the message I've marked this unsolved.

Could you please give us more details on the issue if Robert's suggestion doesn't work?