Forum Discussion

GAutomation
Frequent Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Shared project in version control

We are uisng a keyword driven programming and all our function are ready. In process of develping more scripts and using name mapping. right now we have a single project where all of us are sharing...
    LinoTadros
    5 years ago

First of all, please stay away from the word "sharing" in TestComplete.  If you are used to that with other products like HP and IBM testing products, I understand.  These product use a database for the test steps and count on Referencial Integrity in the database to allow multiple people access to the same project.

In TestComplete, it works very differently.  All tests whether Keywords or Scripts are XML files (pure Text), so shaing them will 100% cause corruption of the files sooner or later.

Every member on the team should be running locally on their machine and checking into a respository of source code like Git as you mentioned.

Name Mapping is another issue and I am going to share with you the plain and simple way to deal with it in a team environment.  ONE member of the team should volunteer to be the NameMapping owner on the project.  I do not recommend any other person on the team to make Name Mapping changes. Everyone on the team will just checkout the latest Name Mapping from Source Control.  Otherwise, the team will be spending considerable amount of time merging constantly and that is a waste of time.

Hope that helps

-Lino