Forum Discussion

Nformation
Contributor
9 years ago

Refactoring - Replacing operations in Keyword Tests

I've created a new and better function for closing my application at the end of each test. I'd like to update all existing tests, which all currently end with clicking 2 buttons. I cannot find a way to search-and-replace these operations with the new operation I'd like to use in their place. 

Below is an illustration of what I want to do.

newCloseScript.jpg

8 Replies

• Good morning. Does anyone know if there is a convenient way of doing this?

Marsha_R
      Champion Level 3

I'm pretty sure there is not a convenient way of doing this.  I was hoping someone else would show up and prove me wrong.

Nformation
        Contributor

It's very sad to see no suggestions and I fear you are right--there is no convenient way to update multiple keyword tests. This makes TestComplete very disappointing when it comes to managing large test suites.

• From what I've seen of Keyword Tests, that's the one drawback.  They're not always the easiest things to edit.  You can't do a global search and replace like you could in standard JScript/VBScript code, and I don't know if the Global search even searches through the Keyword Tests.  I've viewed Keyword Tests like Record-AnD-Playback scripting:  good to see how things work, but I don't like using them for real development.

Nformation
      Contributor

will_fetherolf, So do you manage your test suites completely in scripts? If so, I need to decide if I should do that, too... having scripts calling scripts would be easier to refactor, but not as easy to read.  It stinks that we have to make these tradeoffs with TestComplete.

will_fetherolf
        Contributor

I've been using TestComplete since version 2, so I use what's familiar to me.  I was on a project where someone had been using Keyword tests prior to me coming onboard with that project, and I found where I had to edit Keyword Tests cumbersome, and sometimes I ended up converting the Keyword Tests to script and abandoning the Keyword Tests just so I could work with them easier.

If it were me, and I was starting from the ground up, I would not use Keyword Tests at all.  I know there are some people out there who find them useful, but I do not.  When I've looked at the Keyword Tests, they are merely a GUI skin on top of JScript or VBScript.  This GUI skin makes them difficult (for me) to work with. YMMV.