Forum Discussion

tristaanogre
Esteemed Contributor
8 years ago

Pro-Tip: Parameterized Object Property Checkpoints in Keyword Tests

There are, perhaps, some of you who may have already discovered this.  I'm a script coder and prefer to write code for my tests so I'm working on learning the ins and outs of using Keyword Tests more these days.  In doing so, I ran into a problem... and a rather cool solution.  It's not huge, but it might help some of y'all.

Problem:

When writing keyword tests, if you want to add a checkpoint on an Object Property, there is a limitation.  It happens on this screen:

What I have highlighted in red will only take a direct string value.  You cannot call a Code Expression, a variable, a test parameter, or anything else "cool" in here... only a string.  If you're like me, your test cases can be used in multiple situations with perhaps data that will vary from run to run.  So, there is a need for doing the check comparing the property to some data coming from another source.  At first, I thought that the only recourse was to do an If-Then statement to do the comparison of an object property to a variable/parameter.  This worked... but it looked clunky and didn't feel right.

Solution:

Then I realized that the Call Object Method operation can be used to call the method of ANYTHING that TestComplete recognizes as an object, including the aqObject object... which happens to have a CheckProperty method.  So, instead of my if-then, I add a Call Object Method operation and, in the object field, I enter simply aqObject. When I click next, I now have the CheckProperty method available.  I select that, and now I can fill in the fields using whatever values I want, including parameters, variables, code expressions, etc.

SPECIFICALLY, I can now parameterize the Value field, something I couldn't do with just a Object Property Checkpoint.

The end result is that, when I run this, in my test log, it treats it just like an Object Property Checkpoint operation complete with Checkpoint event on a pass.

Again... just discovered this recently myself, but thought I'd share.  You can, obviously, do this same thing with any number of other native objects in TestComplete in keyword tests, opening up a lot more possibilities to those of us who may not be coders.

2 Replies

baxatob
    Community Hero

Hi,

Nice solution.

Also we have another way:

1. After you have created your checkpoint click on it under Value column.

2. This will open "Operation Parameters" dialog. Click on the ellipsis button:

3. This will open "Edit parameter" dialog:

Here you can setup the value using variable, code expression etc.

However I am very surprised why TestComplete does not allow to setup it during initial wizard.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Hrm... Well... for some reason, that wasn't working for me.  And look at that, just tried it, it works.  I feel sheepish. :)

Thanks, baxatob. :)

Either way, though, I agree... the property checkpoint wizard could stand to have this same capability.