Forum Discussion

OV
Frequent Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Passing Test Parameters via Command Line won't work

Hi,

I'm trying to launch test complete and pass a parameter via command line but, following the instructions from here - https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/automating/command-line-and-exit-codes/custom-parameters.html it fails

This is my command line - TestComplete.exe "C:\Testcomplete\DA_Automation_Test_Framework.pjs" /r /p:PlayGroundProject /u:Unit1 /rt:Main /LatestSprintVersionNumber=ppp

I also tried /arg: (As I work with sessioncreator), I tried pv and psv. nothing is working. 

In TC report I can see all the parameters except the one I want which is /LatestSprintVersionNumber=ppp

We are triggering TE to execute the code via jenkins file and I'm not sure what should I put in the command line. the parameter I want to transfer is being retrieved by jenkins, I want to take it and pass it to the executable code via the command line.

If anyone knows why please let me know?

Cheers,

Ofer

• Hi,

Just for the sake of anyone else get into this problem, here is the solution:

def processCommandLineArgument(VersionFromTheApp):
    #iterate through all parameters sent via command line set in Jenkins file
      for i in range (0, BuiltIn.ParamCount()):
        #verify any of tha parameters contain a string called LatestSprintVersionNumber
        if "LatestSprintVersionNumber" in aqConvert.VarToStr(BuiltIn.ParamStr(i)):
          #split the /LatestSprintVersionNumber=x.x.xxxx.xx parameter into 2 bits ('/' 'and LatestSprintVersionNumber=x.x.xxxx.xx')
          items = aqConvert.VarToStr(BuiltIn.ParamStr(i)).split("/")
          #split the LatestSprintVersionNumber=x.x.xxxx.xx parameter into 2 bits ('LatestSprintVersionNumber and 'x.x.xxxx.xx')
          items = aqConvert.VarToStr(items[1]).split("=")
          #check if the first item in position [0] in items array equals to 'LatestSprintVersionNumber'
          if aqConvert.VarToStr(items[0]) == "LatestSprintVersionNumber":
             #check if the value appears in the app in the help-->about window equals to the second item in position [1] in items array
             if VersionFromTheApp == aqConvert.VarToStr(items[1]):
               Log.Message("The latest sprint version passed via the command line is " + aqConvert.VarToStr(items[1]))
               Log.Message("The installed version is " + VersionFromTheApp)
               Log.Message("Both, latest sprint build version and the installed one are the same")
            else:
               Log.Message("The latest sprint version passed via the command line is " + aqConvert.VarToStr(items[1]))
               Log.Message("The latest sprint build version and the installed one are not the same")

4 Replies

OV
      Frequent Contributor

Hi Marsha,

I managed to figure out what was the problem. in the examples on the URL you sent they count the number of parameters and then for loop through them. it looks like the loop should go 0 to ParamCount() + 1 and not 0 to ParamCount(), if I use ParamCount() + 1 I get to see the desired value

def processCommandLineArguments():
      for i in range (0, BuiltIn.ParamCount() + 1):
      Log.Message(BuiltIn.ParamStr(i))
      #processCommandLineArgument(BuiltIn.ParamStr(i))
      processCommandLineArgument("/arg:LatestSprintVersionNumber=6.3")

def processCommandLineArgument(arg):
      items = arg.split("=")
      Log.Message(items[0])
      Log.Message(items[1])

OV
      Frequent Contributor

Now when running this code on the Jenkins pipeline I get an error:

13:21:15  The TestExecute process has exited with the following code: 2.
      13:21:15  IndexError: list index out of range

this is my code and I can't understand why it is going out of range:

This is my command line, the argument I am passing is in bold

bat "SessionCreator.exe RunTest /UserName:%USERNAME% /UseActiveSession /Password:%PASSWORD% /ProjectPath:${env.WORKSPACE}\\DA_Automation_Test_Framework.pjs /p:AutomationSharedResources /arg:LatestSprintVersionNumber=$LatestSprintVersionNumber /ExportLog:${env.WORKSPACE}\\reports\\HTML\\report.html /ExportSummary:${env.WORKSPACE}\\reports\\report.xml"

And this is the code I am trying to use when running the TE

def processCommandLineArgument():

for i in range (0, BuiltIn.ParamCount() + 1):

items = BuiltIn.ParamStr(i).split(":")     

items = items[1].split("=")

if items[0] == "LatestSprintVersionNumber":     

Log.Message("The latest sprint version passed via the command line is " + items[1]) 

return items[1]

Can you please tell me where do I go wrong?

Any idea what is the problem?

Thanks,

Ofer

OV
        Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Just for the sake of anyone else get into this problem, here is the solution:

def processCommandLineArgument(VersionFromTheApp):
        #iterate through all parameters sent via command line set in Jenkins file
          for i in range (0, BuiltIn.ParamCount()):
            #verify any of tha parameters contain a string called LatestSprintVersionNumber
            if "LatestSprintVersionNumber" in aqConvert.VarToStr(BuiltIn.ParamStr(i)):
              #split the /LatestSprintVersionNumber=x.x.xxxx.xx parameter into 2 bits ('/' 'and LatestSprintVersionNumber=x.x.xxxx.xx')
              items = aqConvert.VarToStr(BuiltIn.ParamStr(i)).split("/")
              #split the LatestSprintVersionNumber=x.x.xxxx.xx parameter into 2 bits ('LatestSprintVersionNumber and 'x.x.xxxx.xx')
              items = aqConvert.VarToStr(items[1]).split("=")
              #check if the first item in position [0] in items array equals to 'LatestSprintVersionNumber'
              if aqConvert.VarToStr(items[0]) == "LatestSprintVersionNumber":
                 #check if the value appears in the app in the help-->about window equals to the second item in position [1] in items array
                 if VersionFromTheApp == aqConvert.VarToStr(items[1]):
                   Log.Message("Both, latest sprint build version and the installed one are the same")
                else:
                   Log.Message("The latest sprint build version and the installed one are not the same")