Forum Discussion

ackmondual
Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

Options for DDT, 32-bit Excel 2016, with 64-bit TC v14

DDT = Data-Driven Testing

I got that "the needed data source driver is not installed...."

"... to read the data, install the 64-bit version of Microsoft Office 12.0 Acces database Engine OLE DB Provider..." runtime error

versions and "Bitness" of relevant applications...

Windows 10, 64-bit

TC Version: 14.0.317.7 x64... however, the installation for this is under the "Program Files (x86)" folder!

Excel 2016, 32-bit

Testing an Android application

TC being 64-bit, and Excel being 32-bit is indeed the culprit.  Other threads state there's a distinction between the Excel drivers, vs. the Excel application.  In my situation, can I just have IT install 64-bit Excel drivers to enable DDT to work, or do I really need to uninstall TC, and have them install the 32-bit version of TC to enable DDT to work?

Or was there some setting I can change to have TC point to some 32-bit files (not sure why the About window in says TC is "x64", but the files ended up getting installed in "Program Files (x86)"?

Reinstalling TC, I'm guessing backing up the files under Documents\TestComplete14 for the relevant project I'm working on is sufficient to ensure nothing gets removed?

• Hi,

To add to what was said by ApplePen :

-- TestComplete and Excel driver bitness must match. Bitness of Excel application is irrelevant and its presence is not required;

-- TestComplete installation installs both x32 and x64 flavors of TestComplete during install - TC x32 is installed into <TestComplete>\Bin folder while TC x64 is installed into <TestComplete>\x64\Bin one. So you can use the flavor that best fits the needs of your project without the necessity to reinstall something.

4 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

To add to what was said by ApplePen :

-- TestComplete and Excel driver bitness must match. Bitness of Excel application is irrelevant and its presence is not required;

-- TestComplete installation installs both x32 and x64 flavors of TestComplete during install - TC x32 is installed into <TestComplete>\Bin folder while TC x64 is installed into <TestComplete>\x64\Bin one. So you can use the flavor that best fits the needs of your project without the necessity to reinstall something.

ackmondual
      Contributor

Yeah, that worked!  I'm running off the executable from the /bin directory to use the 32-bit version of TC.  This instead of ....x64/bin.

ApplePen
      Community Leader

Thank you for your reply.

I got it.😉

ApplePen
    Community Leader

Normally TC is better to use the same version Microsoft Office 12.0 Access Database Engine.

TC x64 use the x64 Engine. TC x86 use the x86 Engine.

But if TC is not the same version with Engine. You could use command '/passive' to install the Engine. 

It can work too.

Ex. TC x86 is able to use x64 Engine. 

You could input this command ["C:\directory path\AccessDatabaseEngine_x64.exe" /passive] in cmd.