Ask a Question

Objects Now Unavailable or Hidden - TC 7.52 Windows7 and Server 2008

kire1master
New Contributor

Objects Now Unavailable or Hidden - TC 7.52 Windows7 and Server 2008

A recent Windows update or our update to TFS 2010 has caused TC to no longer see our WPF application's objects.  I have seen this now on both Windows7 and now my Server 2008 system.  These systems were running TC just fine at one time.

Now all the Object Browser sees is one level of:  

Window("HwndWrapper[DefaultDomain;;0d403425-d0f7-4755-8bbb-1ff7d12031d4]", "", 1)

It can not see past this level.  

I have tried to uninstall all Windows updates and TFS 2010 and reinstall/update TC.  None of this helped.  This issue is not seen on another XP system with TFS 2010 and full updates.  

Any ideas?  My tests are dead in the water...
11 REPLIES 11

RE: Objects Now Unavailable or Hidden - TC 7.52 Windows7 and Server 2008

Hi Eric,

Do you have the 'WPF Controls Support Plug-in' extension installed and enabled on the problematic machine (File | Install Extension...)?

Can you reproduce the problem with another WPF application? For example, you can check this with the Orders sample application shipped along with TestComplete:

Windows 7, Vista and Server 2008:

<Users>\Public\Documents\TestComplete 7 Samples\Open Apps\OrdersDemo\WPF\

Other operating systems:

<Documents and Settings>\All Users\Documents\TestComplete 7 Samples\Open Apps\OrdersDemo\WPF\

Can TestComplete access objects in WinForms application by their native names? You can find a sample WinForms application here:

<Users>\Public\Documents\TestComplete 7 Samples\Open Apps\OrdersDemo\C#\

or

<Documents and Settings>\All Users\Documents\TestComplete 7 Samples\Open Apps\OrdersDemo\C#\
--
Dmitry Nikolaev

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
kire1master
New Contributor

Thanks David!

I do have the 'WPF Controls Support Plug-in' installed.  However, I get the same functionality if I turn it off or on.  Clicking 'Conflict Info' indicates there are no conflicts.  It does seem that something is now blocking the WPF Support.

I was able to reproduce the problem with the OrdersDemo\WPF application.  

I am able to see the native names using the OrderDemo\C# version.  

It does seem to have lost WPF Controls Support.  

Next Step?

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the information. We tried to reproduce the issue here by installing the latest updates to Windows 7 and Server 2008 and the latest available version of Visual Studio 2010, but failed. Could you please describe in detail what exact updates and versions of Visual Studio you have installed to your machines?

Try increasing the 'Method invoke timeout' option to 10000. The option can be found in the 'Open Applications' option group of the project editor. To open the editor, double-click the project node in the 'Project Explorer' panel and switch to the 'Properties' page.

If this does not help, please check whether the problem can be reproduced with a new project or with a project that works fine on your XP machine.
--
Dmitry Nikolaev

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
kire1master
New Contributor

David,

I took another working system and applied the upgrades more methodically.  

Full Windows Updates:  TestComplete WPF still worked

MS Visual Studio Ultimate 2010 RC: TestComplete WPF still worked.  

This time everything still works.  So now I have two systems that have failed and one that works.  I have number of other systems that must go through this update process so I will continue to try and find a root cause.

Hi Eric,

Ok, please let me know your results when you get some.
--
Dmitry Nikolaev

tomh_1
Contributor

We have encountered the same problem (WPF app compiled for .Net 4.0 and WPF objects no longer visible in Test Complete).  We are using Test Complete 7.5.2 with the .Net 4.0 Beta 2 fix for recognizing .Net objects (tcClrHook).  This was on Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit.  Are there any resolutions to this problem yet?
kire1master
New Contributor

Tom,

We have a wide implementation of TC7.52 and have seen this issue on only two systems.  Those same two systems have now been rebuilt, step by step, and no longer have the problem (good and bad news).  We simply have not seen a root cause to the problem and have not been able to reproduce the issue. 

I think we all know what happens to bugs that can't be constantly reproduced... 
tomh_1
Contributor

I am unable to object browse to the WPF objects on all the OS I tried (2008 R2 64 bit,  2008 SP2 32 bit, 2003 and XP).  These are all virtual machines.  I think this may be a different problem.

Hi Eric and Tom,

Let me clarify how TestComplete works with Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.

When .NET Framework 4.0 is installed on a computer, it breaks the .NET Open Applications support feature in TestComplete 7.x. This means that TestComplete cannot work with .NET applications compiled with any versions of the .NET Framework anymore. Uninstalling .NET Framework 4.0 does not help as some of the files are not removed.

We have a fix that solves the problem in the following way: TestComplete 7.x can work with applications compiled for any versions of the .NET Framework except for version 4.0 and later. To get the fix, please contact us via the Contact Support form.

TestComplete 7.x does support applications compiled for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 even after applying the fix.

Support for applications compiled for .NET Framework 4.0 and later is implemented in TestComplete 8. The beta version of TestComplete 8 is available for all registered users of TestComplete 7 with an active maintenance subscription. To get the beta, contact us via the Contact Support form.
--
Dmitry Nikolaev

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: