Forum Discussion

hilmi
New Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Need to use different namemapping files when running on different versions of the same Tested App

Hi,

I have 3 different versions of an desktop app. The name mapping objects and its images vary lil bit in each of these versions. Currently all three versions are kept as 3 different branches in git. Now, I need to merge these 3 branches to 1, as I need to run all the different versions from this new single branch.

As there is change in name mapped objects in these 3 versions, is it possible for me to merge the project as one???

As in app.ver1 has namemapping.tcNm1

app.ver2 has namemapping.tcNm2 and app.Ver3 has namemapping.tcNm3.

All these 3 files need to incorporated into one single project suite. Based on which version is being put to test, the name mapping files should change accordingly.

Is there any way?

Marsha_R
    2 years ago

If you want only one NameMapping file, then the merge is the way to go. Please please please backup the original name mapping files first in case the merge does not do what you need it to do.

After you merge, then run each project separately with the new name mapping to see if it still supports the code from each project. I suggest doing this in a separate project that can be used for experimenting.  If there are only a few errors caused by using the merged name mapping, then you are probably safe. If there are many errors, then you need to decide if it is worth the time to try and change the name mapping to clear all the errors or if it's better to go forward with the original separate name mappings.

3 Replies

Marsha_R
      Champion Level 3

If you want only one NameMapping file, then the merge is the way to go. Please please please backup the original name mapping files first in case the merge does not do what you need it to do.

After you merge, then run each project separately with the new name mapping to see if it still supports the code from each project. I suggest doing this in a separate project that can be used for experimenting.  If there are only a few errors caused by using the merged name mapping, then you are probably safe. If there are many errors, then you need to decide if it is worth the time to try and change the name mapping to clear all the errors or if it's better to go forward with the original separate name mappings.