Forum Discussion

IanSmith
New Contributor
2 years ago

Location of TestComplete output log messages when running under Azure Dev Ops

Hi,
I'm relatively new to TestComplete and am running a TestComplete project from Azure Dev Ops via a pipeline connected to an agent on my local machine running Windows 10 Enterprise, and am trying to find the value of a path (including Project.Path) being set for an Excel read, as the Excel read that follows it fails.  (It works fine when run locally).
The pipeline is set up to run using TestComplete, and points to a project file, running tests listed and checked as test cases in Execution Plan.
The test platform version is 'Installed by Tools Installer'.
Visual Studio Test Platform Installer uses 'Latest Stable'.
When vstest - testAssemblies runs, Azure Dev Ops logs its own activity but refers the reader to log files when tests fail, as per attachment.
Does anyone know where TestComplete logs are written to in this scenario?  I would like to see information I've logged using TestComplete's log message but can't seem to find any other log files.  Those in TestComplete only hold log.message lines from tests run from within TestComplete itself. 
Is it the case that log.message is disabled while running in a remote pipeline and that trying to get debug information this way just isn't supported?

2 Replies

KB1
    Champion Level 2

When running a TestComplete project from Azure DevOps, the log messages and other information generated by TestComplete will typically be written to the build logs in Azure DevOps.

You can view the build logs by navigating to the build summary page in Azure DevOps and clicking the "Logs" tab.

The build logs will contain information about the tests that were run, as well as any log messages or other output generated by TestComplete or other tools during the build process.

If you are using the log.message function to log information in your TestComplete tests, these messages should be written to the build logs as well. If you are not seeing these messages in the build logs, it is possible that there is an issue with the way the tests are being run, or with the configuration of the build pipeline.

It is also possible to use the TestComplete logging API to write log messages to a file on the machine where the tests are being run. If you are using this approach, you will need to ensure that the machine where the tests are running has access to the file location where you are writing the log messages.

IanSmith
      New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions Kevin - much appreciated.  I'll take a look.