Forum Discussion

Carloso
Occasional Contributor
12 years ago

Launching multiple 'browser' objects of the same browser

How can I launch a second instance of Internet Explorer when using the Run Browser command?

Currently, I get an message that says "the browser is already running" and it doesn't launch another IE instance.

3 Replies

Anonymous

Hi Carlos,

Let me quote the Run Browser Operation help topic:

If the specified browser is already running in the system, the operation posts a warning message to the test log.

According to the quotation, you cannot launch the second instance of Internet Explorer by using this operation.

Could you please clarify what you want to run the second instance of Internet Explorer for?
    Carloso
    Occasional Contributor
    Apart from testing, I also do tech support. I need the second browser to isolate testing from whatever else I'm doing.
    Anonymous

Hi Carlos, 

TestComplete simulates user actions with tested objects. Thus, I do not recommend you to work in the way you want, because your actions will interfere with TestComplete's actions, and you will get errors in the Test Log.

The most common practice is to use different machines for testing and for working. Also, you can execute tests on a VM.