Forum Discussion

vatbub
Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Launching TestComplete takes ages

Hey,

we have a ProjectSuite containing 3 Projects (iOS, Android, common). As the names indicate, we seperated the two os and common functions. However, the iOS and Android Projects contain references to units in common and common contains references to all KeywordTests from all other projects.

When we launch TestComplete, we are stuck at the "Opening ProjectSuite" screen for at least 2 Minutes. We disabled all the Modules we don't need and I read this thread too but I don't think this issue is about compiling the test code but rather about loading the ProjectSuite.

Any help about speeding this up is apreciated,

Greetings,

vat

• Ah, yes... that would take a long time to start.

A suggestion to prevent this from happening again:

1) Export your logs to a central location after every run. That way the logs are backed up and archived for future reference.  Do this because the next suggestion is to

2) In your TestComplete options (something you'll need to set on all machines running the tests and within TestExecute instances as well),, under Engines -> Log, turn off the "Store all logs" option and select a meaningful value for "Number of recent logs to keep". TestComplete will automatically purge older logs to keep to that number. 

Glad that you figured out the problem.  Hope my suggestions help preventing that in the future.

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

By "Launch TestComplete", are you launching to execute the tests or simply launching to edit the project?

If the former, while it isn't "compiling code", it does need to load the script and test code into memory in order to be able to execute it. If you have a very large project with lots of units, lines of code, etc., this could take time. 

vatbub
      Contributor

Hi,

sorry for not replying for so long.

We finally fixed the issue. What I meant was the time to actually open the ProjectSuite. This delay was caused by the number of logs we had in it from our nightly tests. Now, we removed the logs from the ProjectSuite and TestComplete starts much quicker.

Regards,

vatbub

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Ah, yes... that would take a long time to start.

A suggestion to prevent this from happening again:

1) Export your logs to a central location after every run. That way the logs are backed up and archived for future reference.  Do this because the next suggestion is to

2) In your TestComplete options (something you'll need to set on all machines running the tests and within TestExecute instances as well),, under Engines -> Log, turn off the "Store all logs" option and select a meaningful value for "Number of recent logs to keep". TestComplete will automatically purge older logs to keep to that number. 

Glad that you figured out the problem.  Hope my suggestions help preventing that in the future.