Forum Discussion

Mathit
Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

How to update project suite variables in TestExecute

I have copied over scripts to run in a different machine with TestExecute.  I have project suite variables that need to be updated.  Where do we update for testexecute.  

• TestExecute is an execution engine only.  You cannot change project variables through TestExecute execept through executable code.

If you need to update the variables based upon the new machine, my recommendation would be to use some sort of INI file that contains the machine specific values.  Then write code within your project to populate the project variables based upon the INI file. That way, each time you roll out a new machine, all you need to do is copy in a new INI with the updated values.

• Hi,

One more way to go:

If you have at least one floating license for TestComplete, then you may install TestComplete on every machine along with TestExecute and use TestComplete for the initial setup of the project and TestExecute for regular test runs.

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

TestExecute is an execution engine only.  You cannot change project variables through TestExecute execept through executable code.

If you need to update the variables based upon the new machine, my recommendation would be to use some sort of INI file that contains the machine specific values.  Then write code within your project to populate the project variables based upon the INI file. That way, each time you roll out a new machine, all you need to do is copy in a new INI with the updated values.

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

One more way to go:

If you have at least one floating license for TestComplete, then you may install TestComplete on every machine along with TestExecute and use TestComplete for the initial setup of the project and TestExecute for regular test runs.