Forum Discussion

mfoster711
Regular Contributor
12 months ago

Here we go again - Now EDGE doesn't work

We spent part of last week tweaking our tests to get them to run on EDGE since Chrome doesn't work. We got through 1/2 our tests on Friday using EDGE. But, EDGE updated over the weekend to version 113 and now it doesn't work either. 

It should be noted, I followed all the steps in Smartbears documentation to disable updates to EDGE and we still received the update. Smartbears instructions only work if you test PCs are part of a domain and our PCs are not.

Several people keep posting suggestions on how to download to an older version of Chrome or EDGE and/or turn off updates but none of these instructions work unless the PC is part of a domain.

So we are completely dead again and the best answer Smartbear has provided is "maybe we will have a fix by mid-week".

11 Replies

StarkM
    New Contributor

Ya this happened to us this morning, from the 113 Edge upgrade (Following what happened last week with Chrome, this must be some chromium based update that messes with NameMapping and how it hooks onto the browser through the Object Browser)

What has worked for me and my team has been disabling Edge from auto updating (Had problems doing the MS Policy add for this, just disabled both services edgeupdate and edgeupdatem)

Go grab a MSI of the previous stable release from 112 
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download?form=MA13FJ

Once you download this, open an admin cmd prompt, navigate to the directory that has this MSI, and run the downgrade 

msiexec /I MicrosoftEdgeEnterpriseX64.msi /qn ALLOWDOWNGRADE=1

Reopen Edge, will say its pending, give it a few mins and restart the browser, should show 112.x

Then try your TC scripts again.

• We're having the same problem. All of my tests are now failing. I hope we can at least get a workaround for this. 

Friday all tests were working. Saturday we had an update and now it doesn't recognize Edge. 

• Well our organisation has a domain and they can roll it back but it's a lot of hassle, with support tickets etc, and we'll have to roll it forward again later.  They've asked if the vendor (you) test new browser beta versions before they are released?  It is concerning that this is a fundamental issue that would have been caught with the most basic of tests.  Its not acceptable given the cost of the product.

• Hey, wanted to provide a quick update based on the work we've done over the past 2 days. We've identified the root cause of the Chrome and Edge 113 issues, and it appears that a few changes in the Chromium engine has impacted the way TC interacts with the browser. We should have a patch coming along very soon.

Thanks for your patience!

Best regards, 

Pawel Mularczyk
    Product Manager for TestComplete

eykxas
    Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately, downgrading Edge doesn't work for me. (the msi installer has a problem).

StarkM
      New Contributor

Odd, I had a team member try to run the msi by double clicking, make sure you aren't doing that and just using the command to get it reverted.

Regardless tho, this is all assuming your organization policy won't try to push updates back to you. Fix I had yesterday seems to only take hold for my org until I reboot. Hopefully Smartbear will have a permanent solution out shortly (They have communicated in this thread and others about both Chromium update problems)

• jrsbr Yes, of course, we no longer want to allow the situation as it is now.

Thanks for your patience!

Best regards, 

Pawel Mularczyk
    Product Manager for TestComplete

• So I read in the post for Chrome 113 that we will not get an update to the Edge issue until early next week. I can tell you we're not happy with this taking so long. We're going to have to release without running automation on our release builds.

We only test on Edge because it is the recommended browser for our company. We have a very targeted customer base so cross browser testing is low priority right now. Obviously this issue has shut us down from any automation activity on our web team and it puts our release at higher risk because we don't have the resources to fully cover what automation covers. 

I'm not sure what the impact will be with decisions on the automation tool we choose to use going forward. TestComplete was chosen because we have an in-house java application that we test as well as the web apps and TestComplete seemed like the perfect solution.  

In my opinion and, as I've read, others as well, this should've never happened. I sincerely hope there are changes being made to ensure this never happens again.