Forum Discussion

chris_adair
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

Debugging scripts in TC7 seems much slower

I am trying to debug my scripts in TestComplete 7.5.  The scripts are local. However, it seems as it is taking 15 - 20 seconds to pause and to step between lines of code while debugging.  In TestComplete 6.53, when my scripts were local, there was a brief delay before it paused the script and advancing from line to line in debug mode was almost instant.  I am using the same MS Script debugger as I was in TC 6.5.  Has anything changed that is slowing this down, or do I need to install a new debugger of any sort?

Thanks!

3 Replies

• Hi Chris,

What version of TestComplete are you using? I recommend that you use the latest one. TestComplete 7.52 is available for downloading from our web site and from the Client Services Portal. Does the issue persist with the latest update?

If you still face the problem with TestComplete 7.52, I suggest that you try reinstalling Microsoft Script Debugger.

In case the suggestions above do not help, please try reproducing the issue with the DataGridView sample project (<TestComplete 7 Samples>\Scripts\Grids\Microsoft_DataGridView\Microsoft_DataGridView.pjs). How long does it take to move from one step to another when the execution is stopped on a breakpoint set in the Main routine? It would be very much appreciated if you recorded a video demonstrating the issue and sent it to us. For example, you can use Jing, which is a free recorder:

http://www.jingproject.com/

chris_adair
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi David,

I am using Test Complete 7.52.  It is a fresh install, and I installed the script debugger, the same version you linked to after the Test Complete install.  I tested briefly with the sample app you link to, but it seems to be OK there.  I suspect that after I test and generate a lot of logs, that it slows down the debug, but I do not have anything to back this up.  I will continue to look at this.  In the mean time, if you have any additional suggestions, I would appreciate it!

Thanks,

Chris Adair

• Hi Chris,

Thank you for updating me with this.

The behavior seems to be quite strange. To help us investigate the situation, please zip the entire project suite folder along with test execution logs and send us the archive. Also, please provide us with a screencast demonstrating the issue.

In the meantime, you can try following the suggestions described in the "Automated Test Playback Performance Tips" article.

BTW, what OS are you using? Does your system parameters correspond to the requirements mentioned in the "System Requirements" article?