Forum Discussion

geneticmaterial
Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Data generator question

Hi

our QA is writing some keyword tests and has asked for me to help provide a solution to give her a different name per keyword test. Sounds easy enough.

At project level, I have generated a list of 1000 firstnames and 1000 surnames using the 'Test > Generate Data' function, these were sent to file.

For each of these I have created a project level variable "from set" using each of those files so each data set has 1000 entries and set the 'generation mode' to random.

However, when I test this and use it in a setText operation it always gets the same value. As if the random selection of values is only ever done once.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I work with readyAPI and there's an almost identical function, however that DOES return a new value randomly from the set each call.

geneticmaterial
    3 years ago

Figured it out:

use

Project.Variables.randomFirst("randomFirst", Math.floor(Math.random() * 1154))

AlexKaras
    3 years ago

Hi,

Excuse me for the late reply...

You have got correct solution.

'Random' mode in the Data Generator just means that data will be generated in a random unordered sequence. But the resulting data table is accessed sequentially unless explicitly specified like in your code.

Minor improvement if you don't mind: in order to get rid of hardcoded 1154 value you may use the code like this - 

KeywordTests.CreateContactVerifyAndLogout.Variables.ListNames("FirstName",
    Math.floor(Math.random() * KeywordTests.CreateContactVerifyAndLogout.Variables.ListNames.RowCount));

7 Replies

• What we are not doing here is data driven loops inside a single keyword test.

Simply, a new first name and surname will be provided per keyword test so they are differentiated when they are in our backend.

Hope that makes sense.

geneticmaterial
      Contributor

Wow, this is infuriating! I've tried almost EVERY single variation of getting data from that data generator in a variable being held on the project variables and even the local variables on the keyword test and literally it always comes back with the same value!

The only thing I can get to work here is instead of using a variable is to use setText operation and 'code execution' type using the following code:

Math.random().toString(36).replace(/[^a-z]+/g, '').substr(0, 5)

madness!

brumazz
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

How are you changing the input of the field you are trying to data drive?

Could you provide a screenshot?