Forum Discussion

MitchM
Occasional Contributor
12 years ago
Solved

Data Validation

My company is evaluating some testing suites for our applications and I like the ease of creating a keyword test with Test Complete, however I have some questions I can not seem to figure out on my own.

I run through two processes on my UI, they are fairly lengthly processes and I can test the two seperate methods work correctly without a cash in the application. However after process A is copmlete, I run process B. After that is complete what I do manually is run a report to check the two datasets for equality. If they are equal I know the application is performing operations A & B correctly.

How would I go about making Test Complete handle this last step for me? Does it have the ability to run the particular report, and then look for particular values in a certain column of the generated crystal report? Or do I somehow connect it directly to my database and pass a particular Query and check the result?

Thanks

• Hello Mitch,

>> Does it have the ability to run the particular report, and then look for particular values in a certain column of the generated crystal report?

>>Or do I somehow connect it directly to my database and pass a particular Query and check the result? 

TestComplete does not have special support for Crystal Reports, and as far as we know, there is no direct way to access fields inside report forms. 

However TestComplete can work directly with databases - connect to, read/write/validate data, make queries, execute stored procedures, and so forth. So, two datasets can be checked for equality from tests.

Moreover, with TestComplete's database checkpoints you can verify data (against the baseline copy or against another database) in a visual manner, without need to dig into coding. See Creating Database Checkpoints to learn more.

Regards.

1 Reply

ArtemS
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hello Mitch,

>> Does it have the ability to run the particular report, and then look for particular values in a certain column of the generated crystal report?

>>Or do I somehow connect it directly to my database and pass a particular Query and check the result? 

TestComplete does not have special support for Crystal Reports, and as far as we know, there is no direct way to access fields inside report forms. 

However TestComplete can work directly with databases - connect to, read/write/validate data, make queries, execute stored procedures, and so forth. So, two datasets can be checked for equality from tests.

Moreover, with TestComplete's database checkpoints you can verify data (against the baseline copy or against another database) in a visual manner, without need to dig into coding. See Creating Database Checkpoints to learn more.

Regards.