Forum Discussion

lbouchar
Occasional Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

ComboBox item selected ok but get an error anyway

Hello I have recorded the steps of a test that should do a select value of 4 different fields.   Here is a snaphot of the application. 

Here is what the TestComplete version 14 recorded in the steps.  TestComplete does not recognize the fields as object but more as images.  

Here is what the log is showing after i have tried to run the test : 

tristaanogre
    5 years ago

Also, evaluate your usage of the "Extended Find" option.  This is on by default when you install TC.  WIth it checked, it does a search on the mapping try.  

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/options/engines/name-mapping.html?q=extended%20find

My recommendation: turn the option off.  And then work on remapping what was automatically mapped.  Basically, the more layers in the tree that Extended Find "collapses", the longer the search for the object takes.

I'd also suggest turning off "Search visible items first".  This will speed up the search, with that option on, it searches visible items... and then searches the rest of the tree.

8 Replies

• The screen shot you show seems to indcate that the objects captured during recording WERE images. Take a look at the name mapping for those objects to see what is being clicked. You likely will have to find the actual combobox object to use in your test.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Also, evaluate your usage of the "Extended Find" option.  This is on by default when you install TC.  WIth it checked, it does a search on the mapping try.  

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/options/engines/name-mapping.html?q=extended%20find

My recommendation: turn the option off.  And then work on remapping what was automatically mapped.  Basically, the more layers in the tree that Extended Find "collapses", the longer the search for the object takes.

I'd also suggest turning off "Search visible items first".  This will speed up the search, with that option on, it searches visible items... and then searches the rest of the tree.

lbouchar
      Occasional Contributor

I have modified the settings and tried to record a new test. Here's a snapshot of my current settings. 

But still ended up with this after I record the test.  

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Because the items were already mapped, you will need to go into the NameMapping itself and make the necessary adjustments.  To be honest, if you don't have a lot of time invested in your project, I would delete the existing mappings and start over with the new settings.

Just a note... and this is something you will find in multiple post up here.  Recording tests is a good starting point but, by no means, should they be your end product.  After recording, you should review, manually, any mappigns created and adjust them for using proper property criteria for identification.   You should also work on your actual coding and work through it.

It IS entirely possible that the objects you click on ARE actually images... it depends upon how the object is identified by TestComplete.  AGain, reviewing your namemapping will help.

you need to, also, familiarize yourself with the Object Browser and the Object Spy.  These, combined with NameMapping, are the core of the object identification algorithms of TestComplete.  THis is how TestComplete views the objects of your application.

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for your help, tristaanogre, vthomeschoolmom.

lbouchar, did you find the solution to the issue? If you did, please mark the best answer as a solution.