Forum Discussion

cmbdnne
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago

Capturing, using and updating a test value changing from test to test

Hi, I have a question as to how to capture and use a test value that changes every time the test is re-run.

In short, in my test I create an asset which automatically is assigned an ID value created by my app, not manually by me.

It is this value that I need to somehow capture and use in the rest of my test.

But when I re-run my recorded test, this ID value automatically changes from e.g. FA0101 to FA0102, and I need TestComplete to come up with a solution in which this new value replaces the old value in all the relevant spaces and steps in the test.

I can send screenshots or elaborate further if something is unclear.

Thank you in advance!

15 Replies

baxatob
    Community Hero

Hi,

As one of the possible solution you can store ID in a variable and use this value during your test.

cmbdnne
      Occasional Contributor

Hi, thanks for your answer.

I've tried to assign the asset ID to a variable value, both by trying to capturing it as an object property and an onscreen object. Problem here is that TestComplete doesn't appear to "grasp"/recognise this as a value and thus nothing appears when I'm trying to print this value out to a log.

Also - I need to use this value throughout the test but when the test is re-run, a new ID value is going to appear and this value should replace the previous value used (hope this makes sense) - and is that possible if a such variable value is defined as an object property/onscreen object?

baxatob
        Community Hero

Can you provide an Object Browser data for the mentioned element (the textbox with ID)?