Forum Discussion

RobertDAltman
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Calling a REST API from a keyword test

Ok... I've looked at the docs and searched the web, and I can't believe I haven't found an obvious answer to this question: Is there an easy way for me to call a REST API during my keyword test and easily extract an answer from the result? Here are a couple of scenarios I need to implement:

• I want to call the API at https://validator.w3.org/nu to validate the HTML markup on each of my web pages
  • As part of my website's "Forgot my password" workflow, the user has to enter a validation code that I send to the user's phone. I would like to expose an API on my website that returns the validation code for my "test user" account, so that I can fetch the validation code and enter it on the page in my workflow where the user would read it from the phone and manually enter it.

5 Replies

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

In TestComplete 12.40+, you can use the Send Request operation to call REST APIs.

RobertDAltman
      Occasional Contributor

Not sure if it's better to "reply" or to post a new question.  Guess I'll find out...

Ok, so now that I've successfully called my REST API from my keyword test, how do I parse the result (presumably JSON, although I can just as easily return XML)?  Do I need to roll my own script code or is there something in the world of keyword tests that will help me?  And if I need to write script code, is there anything in that world that makes it easy to parse parameter values out of the JSON returned by the previous operation?

RobertDAltman
        Occasional Contributor

Never mind the "follow up" question about parsing the result... I asked about that as a separate question.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

You can include the "WebServices" object in your project and utilize that for consuming API's.  

HKosova
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

tristaanogre wrote:

You can include the "WebServices" object in your project and utilize that for consuming API's.  

The WebServices project item is for SOAP services only.