Forum Discussion

nwang66
Contributor
15 years ago

CHeck ProjectSuite out from TFS on different PC

Hi,

I have a ProjectSuite, which was created on PC1 and has been added to TFS. Now I want to check out this ProjectSuite on PC2 and modify it. How can I do it? 

The following messages are copied from TC help file. Does this mean we cannot have two testers check out same project or project suites on different computers? The modification may be not synchronous. But tester A may check out the project suite in the morning, and tester B will modify the project at afternoon. Can we do in TC?

Thanks in advance!

Nancy

"When you add a project to source control from TestComplete, the latter saves the local file paths to the project (or project suite) files. If you check out the project (or project suite) using TestComplete on another computer, TestComplete will replace the local paths in the project (project suite) file with the paths relevant to this computer, so when you open the project on your computer again, the project link to source control will be broken and you will have to rebind the project to source control."

5 Replies

• Hi Nancy,

>> I have a ProjectSuite, which was created on PC1 and has been added to TFS. Now I want to check out this ProjectSuite on PC2 and modify it. How can I do it? 

First, you need to use an external client like MS Visual Studio to get project suite files from TFS (on PC2). When you have a working copy on your machine, you can open the project suite in TC and perform check-in/check-out/... operations directly from TC.

acm
      Contributor

Hello Dmitry,

I wonder if the same rules/process apply still.  We're now on version 12 and at the time of your response, version 9 was being used.  I am on the same boat as Nancy and would love to learn how to accomplish the same thing.

Thanks very much :)

Arlene

Tony_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Is there a reason why you need to check out the project suite? Normally you would only check out the file you plan on changing. Then once you have updated the file then you will check in that file. No need to check out the whole project suite.

• It doesn’t matter checking out the Project Suite or some files. The problem is when I select ‘File à Source Control’ in TestComplete, the whole ‘Source Control’ menu is disabled except ‘Refresh Status’. If I open an existing project, TC will ask me the physical location of PJS OR MDS file. From my second PC it is not accessible to my first PC. Should I copy the whole project suite folder from PC1 to PC2? This sounds not smart way to do this…

Thanks a lot!

Nancy

• Let me clarify my question. Is TC integrated with TFS close enough to let users to check out TC project suite/project directly from TFS on to different PC?

I know that mutiple testers are able to access one project via file folder, i.e. a tester can open an existing project/project suite on different computer by providing file folder name to TC. Is this the only way to let mutiple testers to work on some project?

Thanks!