Forum Discussion

gdave
Regular Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

BrowserStack

Hi all

We currently use TC desktop application and we have plans to get the web module too.

However, recently my manager asked me to look into an application called BrowserStack. Someone propose to him that BrowserStack might be better for web testing than TestComplete.

I haven't heard of this tool but after doing some research it seems that BrowserStack is the testing platform, to test the websites and mobile applications. We can test a web application in multiple browsers and mobile applications in all the mobile devices without any virtual machines, devices, and emulators.

My question on the forum is how is TC different to BrowserStack and is there anything TC cannot offer what BrowserStack can ?

Thanks

G

• Test Complete is a full automation suite and IDE, browser stack does not provide the same level of automation as it's mostly just a way to view multiple browsers.

That said, SmartBear also has a product called CrossBrowserTesting which you can leverage to run your Test Complete test. I would suggest looking into that.

2 Replies

cunderw
    Community Hero

Test Complete is a full automation suite and IDE, browser stack does not provide the same level of automation as it's mostly just a way to view multiple browsers.

That said, SmartBear also has a product called CrossBrowserTesting which you can leverage to run your Test Complete test. I would suggest looking into that.

• Another point to note is that with BrowserStack you will need to create your tests in Selenium first before you can utilize the device cloud to be able to execute them. With TestComplete, you can continue to use recording or keyword or scripting capabilities + namemapping features to create web tests. In essence, othing will change from how you currently create tests for desktop applicaitons. 

However, if having a device cloud is an important requirement for you, I suggest having a look at our latest version, which is currently in beta - https://smartbear.com/lp/testcomplete/testcomplete-14-4-beta/. Here you can create tests like you do currently, but also have the capability to run those tests on different browsers, devices and configurations on the cloud. 

Hope this helps.

Prashant