mgroen2
Super Contributor
9 years ago
New Idea

Implement Data Driven testing with external data source in TestExecute

I have created a Keyword Data Driven test in TestComplete. The test reads it's test data out of an Excel file, and perform a data driven loop. Works OK.

However, now I want another end user (not a tester) to use  TestExecute to execute the same test, however with its own set of testdata. So, a different test data source (of course, the format of the file is the same).

Currently,  in TestExecute, it is not possible to link the test file (the keyword test), to the source of the test data file (Excel file, for example) to be able to run the same test with different test data, while not having access to TestComplete (the test source itself).

I hope it is clear what I mean, and I wonder if this scenario is possible to implement (if so, how to implement)? 

Are there any best practices from fellow-testers, who have implemented such (or similar scenario?)

Regards,
Mathijs

Note: issue is posted as question in Community as well: http://community.smartbear.com/t5/Desktop-Testing/Data-driven-Test-Execution-with-TestExecute-is-this-possible/m-p/115527#U115527

2 Comments

cunderw
    Community Hero

All they would need to do is have an excel file with the same name and worksheet name as the original and in the same location on their machine. If you wanted to do it in script you could even have the path to the excel file set externals, perhaps via and environement variable. 

mgroen2
    Super Contributor

That's a very useful tip, cunderw. Thanks a lot!