tristaanogre
Esteemed Contributor
8 years ago
New Idea

Create A Wizard for Parameterizing Data Driven Scripts

When working with Keyword tests, after you've recorded a particular test, you can easily select the steps of the test, right click, and select the option "Make data loop" to auto-magically turn you test into a parameterized data driven loop.  Seriously, this is an AMAZING feature for keyword tests.

However, for writing scripts, if you want to take a recorded script and turn it into a similar loop, there currently is no automatic method for doing so. It requires, instead, the user to do the work themselves to define the variable, configure the data source, parameterize the script, build the loop, etc.  

It would be great if TestComplete had a wizard where you can select a recorded script routine and perform the same sort of magic that you can do for keyword tests.

4 Comments

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

As a workaround if there's something inherently complicated like this, I tend to created it in a keyword test first and use Convert to Script to get most of the work done.

NisHera
    Valued Contributor

what works  for me is code template

Initially have created my own templates plus default stuff

so i'm just right click and get what I need.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Marsha_R: That is a work around but the Keyword to Script conversion still requires some clean-up after the fact, at least in my experience. The code it generates isn't "pretty" and I'm one for easily readable and standardized code. 

NisHera: Using a code template is fine to generate the basic code for a data loop.  However, you still need to do the manual work of recording the test and then replacing the hard-coded values with the data values. Being able to convert a C# function from a recording directly into a data driven function would be VERY nice.

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

I wasn't arguing against your point.  Just letting you know what we do instead.  Sorry for the bother.