Forum Discussion

yym
New Contributor
10 months ago

Using $ref in query parameters definition in OAS

Hi All.

I see that we can use $ref for Common Parameters for Various Paths but is it possible to use the same approach for query parameters?

Background: our data models are quite large and rich in parameters that can also be used in a GET requests as query parameters. That is why the query parameters definition in each OAS looks redundant. The idea is to use $ref, but this is explicitly not defined according to the OAS guide. Can I use such definition for query parameters?

/teams:
    get:
      summary: Gets a list of teams.
      parameters:
		- in: query
        - $ref: '#/parameters/queryParameters.json'
      responses:
        '200':
          description: OK

Thank you!

4 Replies

chichepo
    Champion Level 3

Hello yym 

I am not sure if it fit to your need but I can suggest a quite different construction.
    We are also working with a huge volume of parameters in our API.

First, you should consider to define your query parameters individually, within a dedicated domain:

Of course, the schema description is defined within "schemas", in the domain:

When done you can easily use the references in your API file:

yym
      New Contributor

Hi chichepo,

Thank you for the answer!

I'm a little bit confused because, as I see in the first snapshot, you define query parameters in the spec for the specific call POST EntityOperations. Actually, this is what I want to avoid.

And in the third figure, you have a situation where parameters refer to components, and there they refer to the external files. I think it's too complicated, don't you? Why can't we reference directly to external files in the parameters avoiding components?

parameters:
      		- in: query
              - $ref: 'https://<server>:<port>/parameters/queryParameters.json'

chichepo
        Champion Level 3

yym 

I am trying to make the parameters organization and calls as optimal as possible.

You writed:
        "our data models are quite large and rich in parameters that can also be used in a GET requests as query parameters. That is why the query parameters definition in each OAS looks redundant."

I am not sure if it is possible to use such kind of "generic" parameters file, as a reference, as shown in your example.

The construction I suggest is including an API and a dedicated Domain, where I store my "reusable" parameters definitions (API file here and Domain file here).
        This is actually the best optimization I can imagine even for huge numbers of parameters.

Don't hesitate to share with us any solutions you could find.