Forum Discussion

lizat2110
New Contributor
6 years ago

Swagger $ref won't work

Hey, 

I started to use swagger with swagger-ui-express and swagger-jsdoc to auto document my existing api, which is written with nodejs and express (like described here - example).I came across a problem when I tried to add a $ref to an existing json schema file (that sits inside my project on the same directory as all my js files) on my annotation.

My directory looks like this - 

And my annotation looks like this - 

/**
 * @swagger
 * /testing:
 *    get:
 *      description: This should show the json schema
 *      responses:
 *          200:
 *              description: "successful operation"
 *              schema:
 *                 $ref: "schema.json"
 */

I wrote the local path(as writen above) and the absolute path, tried to use #, using many syntaxes and nothing worked, i keep geting the same error - 

Resolver error at paths./testing.get.responses.200.schema.$ref
Could not resolve reference: Tried to resolve a relative URL, without having a basePath. path: 'schema.json' basePath: 'undefined'

I looked the problem up online and couldn’t find any clear answer. I saw a solution that suggested I should put my schema on a server and access it with an url address and I prefer not to do it on this point.

Also, at some point I put the scheme into a variable and then put it in the $ref and it worked. The only problem was that the scheme included some inner refs to element in the same file and swagger didn’t even resolved those.

Is there a way to work with $ref in swagger-ui-express?

Thank you 😊

6 Replies