Forum Discussion

Cizo89
Frequent Contributor
10 years ago

[Resolved] Incorrect names of TestSuites in element.order

Hi,

it looks like there is a problem how is SoapUI Pro writing TestSuite names to element.order file.

If I create TestSuites with names, for example, "Demo.TestSuite1" and "Demo.TestSuite2", SoapUI Pro will create folders "DemoTestSuite1" and "DemoTestSuite2" (without the "." character), but to element.order will write "Demo.TestSuite1" and "Demo.TestSuite2" (with the "." character).
Since these are folders, they don't have extension, SoapUI Pro probably thinks that .TestSuite1 and .TestSuite2 are extension and will try to find them and because there is no such thing, it won't find them and put my TestSuites to last position in my project.

But when I overwrite this - when I remove the "." character from element.order, SoapUI will recognize them and put them in correct position.
So the problem is clear - SoapUI is correctly creating folders without ".", but writing this character to element.order where TestSuites are written.
SoapUI should write the actual names of created folders instead of names displayed in SoapUI -since folders don't have extension, in my opinion, SoapUI should be writting TestSuite names also without "." characters.

This behaviour can be checked in attached projects:
Project DemoProject_Before was created in this order, as can you see from this image:

After saving and refreshing, the project looks like this:

Project DemoProject_After was created in the same way, but after saving and before refreshing it, I removed "." characters from element.order file and then refresh the project, the result is here:

Both projects can be found in attached file DemoProjects.zip

P.S. 1 This isn't a problem for TestCases, because TestCases are created and written to element.order with .xml extension.
P.S. 2 Both element.order files (for TestSuites and TestCases) contains unneccessary empty line.

Regards,
Marek

4 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Marek,

I imported both composite projects and see a difference in the order, but I'm not sure if the "." has to do with the projects not being in the correct order. For the DemoProject_After I made changes to the order of the testsuites and sometimes the testsuites order is kept in tact upon refreshing the projects and sometimes it is not. I also see a number of messages of:
    Wed Jul 02 11:06:49 EDT 2014:INFO:Problem saving[ write protected ] report settings file[ C:\SoapUI\Support\forum_files\DemoProjects\DemoProject_After\reports\settings.xml ]
    Wed Jul 02 11:06:49 EDT 2014:INFO:Project settings [ DemoProject_After ] not changed so not saved.

In the SoapUI log and i noticed the directory structure is read-only. Are you able to consistently move the testsuites around and the order of the test suites remain even when you refresh the DemoProject_After?

Regards,
    Marcus
    SmartBear Support
    Cizo89
    Frequent Contributor
    Hi Marcus,

I'm pretty sure it's because the "." character.
    I added a new TestSuite named Test3 to my "after project", put Demo.TestSuite1 TestSuite before Test3, saved, refreshed and Test3 was at the top.
    In element order was this order:
    Demo.TestSuite1
    Test3
    Demo.TestSuite2

So I changed Demo.TestSuite1 to DemoTestSuite1, saved element.order, refreshed project and Demo.TestSuite1 was at the top as expected.

So in my opinion, it has to be due the "." character.

To your discovery about read-only project.
    I'm not sure why it's happening, I'm getting similar results, but despite those logs my projects are being saved correcly.
    Perhaps a new bug?

Regards,
    Marek
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,

What version of SoapUI Pro are you using?

Regards,
    Marcus
    SmartBear Support
    Cizo89
    Frequent Contributor
    Hi Marcus,

good point.
    I'm using Pro 5.0.0 and reported this when 5.1.0 wasn't out.

Now when 5.1.0 is available, this isn't a problem.
    The new naming convention for TestSuites and TestCases fixed this problem, so can mark it as Closed/Rejected.

Thanks,
    Marek