Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pass a String array into a get request

SOLVED
Occasional Contributor

Pass a String array into a get request

Hello,

I need to pass a String's array to the item "acctNo". I mean, each value has an entry parameter "acctNo=660016A&acctNo=66000XW", but this is not working.

/portfolio-rs/v1/1/accounts/assetsDetail?acctNo=660016A&acctNo=66000XW&livePrice=true&buyingPower=true

Instead, by using another online tool the same request, it works.

Please, any clue ?

Thank you so much !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Hero

Re: Pass a String array into a get request

aaah - I see

I didn't see the second Accno query parm

The trouble with this is that SoapUI doesn't recognise it as different query parameter - and so doesn't allow you to add in duplicates.

Someone else asked something similar a couple of weeks ago I believe - but there's no way around it as far as I can tell.

The trouble is a GET query is like a SELECT query against a database.

Currently your GET if you considered it as SQL would appear as follows:

SELECT * FROM TABLE

where accNo = '66000XW'

and accNo = '660016A'

and livePrice = 'true'

and buyingPower = 'true';

and the above would be invalid - if accNo is unique - then you would never get a single record because you are trying to find a record where accNo is both '66000XW' and '660016A'

I'm guessing from your request - you are trying to retrieve more than 1 record - i.e. 2 different account records where livePrice=true and buyingPower=true?

so the SQL equivalent  would be as follows:

SELECT * FROM TABLE

where accNo in ('66000XW', '660016A')

and livePrice = 'true'

This requires either altering the URI (to allow parameterization in SoapUI)  or hardcoding your request.

If you just want to inject this via SoapUI - you bodge it - so select to create a new resource from the URL and paste in the URL up to but not including the query parms

e.g. https://domainname.com/

then once the resource has been created, you can then paste in the remainder of the URL (/portfolio-rs/v1/1/accounts/assetsDetail?acctNo=660016A&BacctNo=66000XW&livePrice=true&buyingPower=true) into the 'Resource' field.

Then within the test case, click to create a new REST request, and select this option from your listing - this would allow you to submit the request from SoapUI but doesn't provide any of the advantages of using SoapUI above other REST client tools - SoapUI lends itself to parameterization and automation.  Essentially the approach I've just described hardcodes the values in - and so provides no advantages from using SoapUI compared with a different tool.

That kindof highlights why REST URI design is so important and needs to be reviewed early in the design/development stages so that problems like this don't occur.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the title of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems.
5 REPLIES 5
Community Hero

Hi,

I'm struggling with the info provided - are you saying you have a REST request with a 3 query parameters as follows:

/portfolio-rs/v1/1/accounts/assetsDetail?acctNo=660016A&acctNo=66000XW&livePrice=true&buyingPower=true

So you are struggling to set this up within  ReadyAPI!/SoapUI?

Is that correct?

If you just follow the standard instructions to create a new GET REST request - i.e. within your project, right click to launch the context menu and select 'New Rest Service from URL' then paste in the full URL (the query parms) - SoapUI will split the parms for you.

At that point, I then highlight the 'Resource' and then click on the Parameters button just to be sure - you should see 3 query parms

1.acctNo

2.livePrice

3.buyingPower

Then within the test suite you can then use properties to populate the query parm values accordingly.

Other than that I'm a little lost as to what you are asking ?

Cheers,

richie

if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the title of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems.
Occasional Contributor

In fact, I did what you have described and yes I got the three parameters.

1. acctNo (array String)

2. livePrice

3. buyingPower

But, I have the problem when I use the acctNo with more than two values. And I am sure the chain should works like it works over other online Tools

Community Hero

aaah - I see

I didn't see the second Accno query parm

The trouble with this is that SoapUI doesn't recognise it as different query parameter - and so doesn't allow you to add in duplicates.

Someone else asked something similar a couple of weeks ago I believe - but there's no way around it as far as I can tell.

The trouble is a GET query is like a SELECT query against a database.

Currently your GET if you considered it as SQL would appear as follows:

SELECT * FROM TABLE

where accNo = '66000XW'

and accNo = '660016A'

and livePrice = 'true'

and the above would be invalid - if accNo is unique - then you would never get a single record because you are trying to find a record where accNo is both '66000XW' and '660016A'

I'm guessing from your request - you are trying to retrieve more than 1 record - i.e. 2 different account records where livePrice=true and buyingPower=true?

so the SQL equivalent  would be as follows:

SELECT * FROM TABLE

where accNo in ('66000XW', '660016A')

and livePrice = 'true'

This requires either altering the URI (to allow parameterization in SoapUI)  or hardcoding your request.

If you just want to inject this via SoapUI - you bodge it - so select to create a new resource from the URL and paste in the URL up to but not including the query parms

e.g. https://domainname.com/

then once the resource has been created, you can then paste in the remainder of the URL (/portfolio-rs/v1/1/accounts/assetsDetail?acctNo=660016A&BacctNo=66000XW&livePrice=true&buyingPower=true) into the 'Resource' field.

Then within the test case, click to create a new REST request, and select this option from your listing - this would allow you to submit the request from SoapUI but doesn't provide any of the advantages of using SoapUI above other REST client tools - SoapUI lends itself to parameterization and automation.  Essentially the approach I've just described hardcodes the values in - and so provides no advantages from using SoapUI compared with a different tool.

That kindof highlights why REST URI design is so important and needs to be reviewed early in the design/development stages so that problems like this don't occur.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much Richie. !!

At least, I have a response to my question

CeciliaSmiley Happy

Community Hero

always happy to help - although I suspect I haven't really helped at all in this instance! Smiley Wink

richie

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Top Kudoed Authors