cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Parse a JSON Response Using Groovy (Examples!)

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

How to Parse a JSON Response Using Groovy (Examples!)

This code can be copied directly into a Groovy Script test step and run to demonstrate a few ways to get data from a JSON REST response:

// Some Examples of How to Parse a JSON Response Using Groovy
// set the example json response string (for a REST Request step assertion, use "def json = messageExchange.response.contentAsString")
def json = '[{"firstName":"Bob","lastName":"Smith","uniqueId":146732,"thisIsAlwaysNull":null,"jobInfo":{"title":"","type":"Peon","code":42},"reviews":[{"date":"2017-06-01","type":"Regular","rating":"Adequate"},{"date":"2017-09-15","type":"Special","rating":"Other"}]},{"firstName":"Jack","lastName":"Jones","uniqueId":746381,"thisIsAlwaysNull":null,"jobInfo":{"title":"Big Boss","type":"Management","code":1},"reviews":[{"date":"2007-11-05","type":"Initial","rating":"Spectacular"}]},{"firstName":"Will","lastName":"Tell","uniqueId":574831,"thisIsAlwaysNull":null,"jobInfo":{"title":"Sweeper","type":"Peon","code":452},"reviews":[]}]'
// parse json string using JsonSlurper - basically converts it to a groovy list
def parsedJson = new groovy.json.JsonSlurper().parseText(json)
// get data
log.info " Count of people returned: " + parsedJson.size()
log.info " Was Will's info returned (exists)? " + ( parsedJson.find { it.firstName == "Will" } != null )
log.info " Was Alice's info NOT returned (not exists)? " + ( parsedJson.find { it.firstName == "Alice" } == null )
log.info " First person's first name: " + parsedJson[0].firstName
log.info " Index of person with ID 746381: " + parsedJson.findIndexOf { it.uniqueId == 746381 }
log.info " Info for person with last name Tell: " + parsedJson.find { it.lastName == 'Tell' }
log.info " Jack's ID: " + ( parsedJson.find { it.firstName == 'Jack' } ).uniqueId
log.info " Jack Jones's job title: " + ( parsedJson.find { it.firstName == 'Jack' && it.lastName == 'Jones' } ).jobInfo.title
log.info " All peon job type people's first names: " + ( parsedJson.findAll { it.jobInfo.type == 'Peon' } ).firstName
log.info " Is Will's thisIsAlwaysNull null? " + ( ( parsedJson.find { it.firstName == 'Will' } ).thisIsAlwaysNull == null )
log.info " Will Tell's had this many reviews: " + ( parsedJson.find { it.firstName == 'Will' && it.lastName == 'Tell' } ).reviews.size()
log.info " Bob's 2017-06-01 review rating: " + ( ( parsedJson.find { it.firstName == 'Bob' } ).reviews.find { it.date == '2017-06-01' } ).rating

Hope this helps someone else!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to Parse a JSON Response Using Groovy (Examples!)

Great examples, Charles! Thank you!

Anastasia
Customer Care Team

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Great examples, Charles! Thank you!

Anastasia
Customer Care Team

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others.

View solution in original post

Occasional Contributor

I should point out that (most of) the parentheses and spaces are not necessary; the following will work the same:

log.info " Count of people returned: " + parsedJson.size()
log.info " Was Will's info returned (exists)? " + ( parsedJson.find{it.firstName=='Will'} != null )
log.info " Was Alice's info NOT returned (not exists)? " + ( parsedJson.find{it.firstName=='Alice'} == null )
log.info " First person's first name: " + parsedJson[0].firstName
log.info " Index of person with ID 746381: " + parsedJson.findIndexOf{it.uniqueId==746381}
log.info " Info for person with last name Tell: " + parsedJson.find{it.lastName=='Tell'}
log.info " Jack's ID: " + parsedJson.find{it.firstName=='Jack'}.uniqueId
log.info " Jack Jones's job title: " + parsedJson.find{it.firstName=='Jack'&&it.lastName=='Jones'}.jobInfo.title
log.info " All peon job type people's first names: " + parsedJson.findAll{it.jobInfo.type=='Peon'}.firstName
log.info " Is Will's thisIsAlwaysNull null? " + ( parsedJson.find{it.firstName=='Will'}.thisIsAlwaysNull == null )
log.info " Will Tell's had this many reviews: " + parsedJson.find{it.firstName=='Will'&&it.lastName=='Tell'}.reviews.size()
log.info " Bob's 2017-06-01 review rating: " + parsedJson.find{it.firstName=='Bob'}.reviews.find{it.date=='2017-06-01'}.rating

And if you want to dynamically build the code to get a specific value as a string, and then evaluate it as code, the following works:

def codeSnippet = "parsedJson.find{it.firstName=='Jack'&&it.lastName=='Jones'}.jobInfo.title"
log.info " Evaluate string as code: " + Eval.me( "parsedJson", parsedJson, codeSnippet )

Contributor

Thank you for the example. I have a json response containing multiple objects and I need to determine the index of the object that I want. "findIndexOf" will be quite helpful.

Thank You

Steve Price

New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. I found though that if you have an array of elements the .findResult function works only for the first element, isn't it? The .find method instead seems to work properly.

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Top Kudoed Authors