Forum Discussion

M_McDonald
Super Contributor
15 years ago

DataGen step executing at project load time

I have a project containing a test case with a DataGen step which has a script generated property. When I open the project, the DataGen step gets executed immediately.

Is this normal behavior?

I am using build 3.0-pro-daily-build-2009-11-11-[3]. I have attached a sample project which exhibits this issue.

3 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi!

yes.. internally soapUI builds tree nodes for all properties (which can be toggled with the corresponding button on top of the navigator), and the node name is in the format "name : value".. so the script gets evaluated when the name is built..

is this a problem for you? Should we figure out a work around?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    M_McDonald
    Super Contributor
    The reason I noticed the issue was that I had code for a credentials dialog embedded in the script and I would see it come up.

Knowing about this I can probably work around it myself but I wonder if things should really work this way for a DataGen step. The Modes are STEP or READ, and neither one of these conditions actually applies at project load time.

Thanks.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    It does seem a bit strange, but the alternative is to initialize the properties with some other value, like null, to be returned for reads that are done before running the DataGen step (in STEP mode) or to display in the TestProperties table. Since this may break existing TestCases, we'll leave it as is for now.

Regards,
    Dain
    eviware.com