Forum Discussion

MC
Contributor
16 years ago

subversion/scc best practices

We currently have a small group of three creating test cases for a set of webservices.
We've version controlled the (non-composite) project file, let's call it tests-soapui-project.xml.
We have tests-soapui-project.xml under subversion control. Unfortunately, being
a single monolithic file, we need to merge changes whenever one of us changes the
project file, which we do on every commit to the subversion repository. If we botch
the merge, then we corrupt the project file, moreover since we're merging at the
.xml file level, it's not always clear what we're merging together.

What are your "best practices" for having several people work on a single project?
Please advise. Thanks.

10 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi!

Apart from recommending the Composite Project feature in soapUI Pro, I would suggest you use the "Pretty Print Project File" in the WSDL Preferences tab so merging will be a bit easier. Also, you could use the import/export TestCase/TestSuite actions to isolate your work into several files (ie share these and a seperate project file instead), but this will be cumbersome in everyday work..

Good Luck!

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
  • Ole and MC,

Just so you guys know, I tried this feature but it creates some problems. It could as well be a bug in soapUI ( don't know if all versions but TRUE with 2.5.1 )

Here is what happens:
    In soapUI 2.5.1 Go to preferences -> WSDL Settings tab.
    Turn on "pretty print project files" option.
    Make some changes to project save project
    try executing test cases or test suites. No SOAP Test Request works !! everything fails.

STRANGE BEHAVIOR IS:

In order to make sure everything works again, I had to restart my computer as plain reloading of older project or workspace did not work!
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Sachin,

thanks for reporting this, I'll check it out!

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
  • Yes Ole, you are welcome.

This looks like a big bug. I verified it again. Simple way to reproduce it is by changing something in preferences and then firing off the test case. the test case stops working.

in our case we changed the "pretty print project files" property.

We tested it in 2.5 and 2.5 does not exhibit this behavior. So we are sticking to 2.5 as of now.
  • Also Ole,

Can you please take a look at my question "Inserting/Creating new node using Property Transfer?" as soon as you can? I badly need the answer to this one.

Regards,
    Sachin
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Sachin,

I wasn't able to reproduce this unfortunately.. are you getting any errors in any of the logs when this happens? Can we set up a short online meeting where you can show me this on your computer?

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
  • We are using Mac OS X and Java 1.5. Did you try on Mac? I did not see any errors in the log.

Sure, we can set up online meeting. Let me know. Have you had a chance to look at "Inserting/Creating new node using Property Transfer?" question I posted recently. please do.

Regards,
    Sachin
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Sachin,

No, I just tried on my winxp, I'll forward this to Lars who is coding on Mac to see if he can reproduce..

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
  • Hi Ole/Lars,

Was this the same BUG where - Saving of preferences would change HTTP version from 1.1 to 0.9 ?

Can you please confirm? I am curious because Ole could not reproduce this on xp. Assuming it is the bug mentioned above, it should be reproducible whether xp or Mac, correct?

Thanks,
    Sachin
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Sachin,

it seems so, this bug has been the cause of much of problems :-( As mentioned in other posts it has at least been fixed in nightly-build. Sorry for the inconvenience.

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com