Forum Discussion

bhasha
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago

Why does SoapUI 5.4.0 keep freezing?

Hello,

We are using SoapUI 5.4.0.

We continuously have issues with the application freezing up forcing us to kill the process and restart.  This is very frustrating as we sometimes lose work because it does not save.  

We've also experienced issues opening more than one SoapUI project in the application.

We have around 24 test suites (will be only 7 when we're done consolidating.)

Test case count will be in the hundreds.

We have 150+ web services calls.

Is this something others experience?

What can we do to resolve this problem?

15 Replies

fernao
    New Contributor

Hi,

I do face the same once in a while as well. Really frustrating when I lose work.

I'm on SoapUi 5.2.0 and I have no more than 30 test suites scattered across 12 projects.

Looking forward for a solution.

bhasha
    Occasional Contributor
    Bump. We've also found that opening multiple projects makes the application unusable. Making any changes and then attempting to save completely freezes the application.
    fernao
    New Contributor

I just realized there's an auto-save option in SoapUi Prefererences / UI Settings. By default it is off. Turning it on should help prevent work loss in case of another freeze.

bhasha
    Occasional Contributor

So is anyone from the development community going to respond?  This is apparently an known an issue and has been for quite a while...

elaroche
      New Contributor

Same issue for us.  It used to take 3-4 minutes to open SOAPUI.  I checked the config, monitored network traffic, etc. to troubleshoot.  I thought perhaps it was trying to connect to a remote endpoint for updates or something, but that was not it.  Then it just started opening more quickly (a few seconds) but the freezing problem is much worse now.  I thought about buying the paid version for support, but I don't think that will help.    Now I am looking for an alternative to SOAPUI as its getting ridiculous. Postman is one that I have used and has some strengths, but is not a great alternative to SOAPUI.  Any ideas?  

• Following worked for me

1. Disable start up page -  File -> Preferences -> UI settings -> Uncheck Show start up page

2. Increase java runtime memory 

Hope this helps.

skipclavell
    New Contributor

I'm also experiencing this with a relatively small project.  It seems to happen more often when running test steps in a loop using a groovy step.  I've seen complaints about a memory leak, but I've had it lock up at as little as ~540MB used, and at over 1GB.  I've tried various suggested solutions found on Stack Overflow and other sites.  Nothing has helped so far.

The only thing consistent that I can see about this problem is it freezes immediately after clicking the Run button on a test step to call a REST service.  Doesn't seem to matter which test step or the contents of the request.

SMARTBEAR WAKE UP AND RESPOND TO THESE COMPLAINTS!

jhanzeb1
      Frequent Contributor

There are bugs in soapui, there is no doubt about this. Hence the reason it is a free version for the community. SoapUI does also features a lot more support online and it does has many functions in comparison to other "free" API testing tools. 

You can always get a paid version (ReadyAPI) and then complain to SmartBear if there are any issues with it ;)

sydstech
    New Contributor

Hi All,

Ok, I finally figured out a way to run my test cases in a test suite. Here how it works,

You just have to keep the Test Suite (Test Case) editor open while running the tests. Close all other editors that are open.

I tested using this method for few days and it works fine.

Thanks.

ncelerier
      New Contributor

Hello,

This is also happening in our team, several times a week.

- Is there a way we can help the SoapUi team (with crash reports for example) ?

- Do you plan to release a new version that might fix these kind of problems ? Do you have a roadmap somewhere with fixed issues ?

Thank you.

fernao
        New Contributor
        I said earlier that there’s an auto-save option that might prevent you from losing work.

Also, sydstech seems to have an idea as well. Have you tried that?
    Meerkat
    New Contributor

This happens to me too.  Soapui was going to be an option for our testing but the bugs have ended that.  The community version is meant to be an example of what you can get in the paid version and this has given us no confidence that it will be worth it.  If a cut down version has such a major and long lasting defect then what kind of defects will there be in the more complex paid version?

elaroche
      New Contributor

I agree with your assessment.  The paid version should have more features, but the free version shouldn’t freeze on a regular basis and at this point I am surprised they haven’t fixed it on such a widely used tool.  I will say though that version 5.5 freezes less often, but it does still happen occasionally.  No other tool I used does something like this on such a regular basis.