Forum Discussion

jurven007
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago

SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection

Hi,

I want to setup SSL for a mockservice so I followed the different steps in Securing mockservices.

I created a keystore using jdk1.7.0_21. I entered passwords and as CN I used localhost since I send the message to a localhost.

Next I filled in the SSL preferences:

When I run the mockservice and send a request (https and specified mock port) I get an error in the lower left corner:

Error getting response;javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection.

How can I make this work? What am I missing...

Thanks in advance

2 Replies

jurven007
    Occasional Contributor

I did some extra testing and discovered something:

I have two free SoapUI installations (5.1.3 and 5.4.0) and one Pro version. The description above is based on the free versions. When I use the Pro version everything seems to work. I can start the mock in SSL mode and send a message using https.

When I use the same settings in the free versions I get the following error when starting the mock:

2018-03-20 09:46:01,020 ERROR [errorlog] java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind
    java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind
     at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
     at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Unknown Source)
     at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Unknown Source)
     at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
     at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(Unknown Source)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.open(SelectChannelConnector.java:216)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.doStart(SelectChannelConnector.java:315)
     at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:235)
     at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
     at com.eviware.soapui.monitor.JettyMockEngine.startMockService(JettyMockEngine.java:147)
     at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.mock.WsdlMockRunner.start(WsdlMockRunner.java:201)
     at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.mock.WsdlMockRunner.<init>(WsdlMockRunner.java:71)
     at com.eviware.soapui.impl.support.AbstractMockService.start(AbstractMockService.java:249)
     at com.eviware.soapui.impl.support.AbstractMockService.start(AbstractMockService.java:222)
     at com.eviware.soapui.impl.support.AbstractMockService.start(AbstractMockService.java:58)
     at com.eviware.soapui.tools.SoapUIMockServiceRunner.runMockService(SoapUIMockServiceRunner.java:197)
     at com.eviware.soapui.tools.SoapUIMockServiceRunner.runRunner(SoapUIMockServiceRunner.java:117)
     at com.eviware.soapui.tools.AbstractSoapUIRunner.run(AbstractSoapUIRunner.java:188)
     at com.eviware.soapui.tools.AbstractSoapUIRunner.run(AbstractSoapUIRunner.java:123)
     at com.eviware.soapui.tools.AbstractSoapUIRunner.runFromCommandLine(AbstractSoapUIRunner.java:98)
     at com.eviware.soapui.tools.SoapUIMockServiceRunner.main(SoapUIMockServiceRunner.java:66)

When I change the port to a number I haven't used I can start the mock but end up with the described behaviour. When I restart free SoapUI and start the mock again I get the same error. Maybe something is blocked?

I closed SoapUI and used netstat -a -b. Port 8444 doesn't show up in the list. After starting SoapUI I ran it again and port 8444 doesn't show up. When I try to start the mock and get the error, netstat shows port 8444 only once