Forum Discussion

HeikoStudt
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago

Testrunner, Script and "isCommandLine"

[Edit: Clearing up quite a bit]

Hi,

I am using the latest SoapUI 5.2.1 with its testrunner.bat

Manual steps should be ignored from commandline - at least according to the source code of SoapUI 4.0. However, in latest SoapUI they fail.

15:32:09,094 INFO  [SoapUITestCaseRunner] running step [Restart ESB (clear state)]
15:32:09,099 ERROR [AbstractTestRunner] Exception during Test Execution
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.eviware.x.form.XFormFactory.createDialogBuilder(XFormFactory.java:21)
	at com.eviware.x.form.support.ADialogBuilder.buildDialog(ADialogBuilder.java:66)
	at com.eviware.x.form.support.ADialogBuilder.buildDialog(ADialogBuilder.java:51)
	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.teststeps.ManualTestStep.run(ManualTestStep.java:117)
	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.support.AbstractTestCaseRunner.runTestStep(AbstractTestCaseRunner.java:211)
	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.testcase.WsdlTestCaseRunner.runCurrentTestStep(WsdlTestCaseRunner.java:47)
	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.support.AbstractTestCaseRunner.internalRun(AbstractTestCaseRunner.java:138)
	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.support.AbstractTestCaseRunner.internalRun(AbstractTestCaseRunner.java:46)
	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.support.AbstractTestRunner.run(AbstractTestRunner.java:129)
	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.support.AbstractTestRunner.start(AbstractTestRunner.java:77)
	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.testcase.WsdlTestCase.run(WsdlTestCase.java:595)
	at com.eviware.soapui.tools.SoapUITestCaseRunner.runTestCase(SoapUITestCaseRunner.java:565)
	at com.eviware.soapui.tools.SoapUITestCaseRunner.runRunner(SoapUITestCaseRunner.java:397)
	at com.eviware.soapui.tools.AbstractSoapUIRunner.run(AbstractSoapUIRunner.java:204)
	at com.eviware.soapui.tools.AbstractSoapUIRunner.run(AbstractSoapUIRunner.java:139)
	at com.eviware.soapui.tools.AbstractSoapUIRunner.runFromCommandLine(AbstractSoapUIRunner.java:114)
	at com.eviware.soapui.tools.SoapUITestCaseRunner.main(SoapUITestCaseRunner.java:120)

For circumventing the error, I have tried to write a groovy script which tests whether it is called in commandline or not.

I've got the condition from http://www.soapui.org/scripting---properties/tips---tricks.html.

However, "isCommandLine" is always false in my tests.

Groovy Script:

def isCommandLine = com.eviware.soapui.SoapUI.isCommandLine
log.info("isCommandLine:" + isCommandLine)
if (isCommandLine) {
    log.info("in cmdl");
    testRunner.gotoStepByName( "GetStates is Empty" );
}

I had a small glimpse on the 4.0 and 5.2.0 source code. I did not find a problem, however.

Luckily, I found there the "isStandalone" static property, which seem to contain the correct information. :-)

My question: Is "isStandAlone" the correct property to use nowadays? Did I mistake the isCommandline somehow or is there any known bug?

MFG (Best regards)
Heiko Studt

7 Replies

sburkard
    Occasional Contributor

If you want to find out if soapui was called from the GUI or not, you can also check if the workspace is null:

def workspace = testRunner.testCase.testSuite.project.getWorkspace()

if(workspace != null) {
       // called by GUI
    } else {
       // called by command line
    }
    kondasamy
    Regular Contributor

Didn't noticed this change in particular! Does 'isStandalone' option worked for you instead of 'isCommandLine' option? If yes, does it generated expected outcome?

Thanks,

Samy

HeikoStudt
      Occasional Contributor

The "isStandalone" seem to be false for TestRunner and true for SoapUI (GUI).

However, I did not read the source code for understanding what "isStandalone" should mean, there are no comments whatsoever.

MFG (Best regards)
      Heiko Studt

kondasamy
        Regular Contributor

So, just to make your code work, you could probably try the below script using 'isStandalone' instead of 'isCommandLine' like this,

if (!isStandalone) {
            log.info("in cmdl");
            testRunner.gotoStepByName( "GetStates is Empty" );
        }

And I guess the behavior of 'isCommandLine' currently you are experiencing should be a bug!

Thanks,

Samy