Forum Discussion

hazem_borham
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

[Reg] Auth Compatibility Issues with soapui 5.0.0 and 4.x

Not sure if this is a bug or usage issue with the new features in soapui 5.0.0, but let me try and explain.

In short, projects set-up in 5.0.0 are not always compatible with 4.5.1 and/4.6.4 due to the change in default for Authentication Type . The following are some errors seen by the TestCaseRunner in automation:

org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.values.XmlValueOutOfRangeException: string value 'NTLM' is not a valid enumeration value for type of authType element
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.values.XmlValueOutOfRangeException: string value 'No Authorization' is not a valid enumeration value for type of authType element.

Example Usage Pattern
It looks like there are new features in 5.0.0 for setting up Auth, the change in behavior has an impact for users defining their tests in 5.0.0 and automation running on a 4.x version. Specifically in the case of what would be "Basic" in 5.0.0, a user in 4.x could set up Username, Password, Authentication Type, WWS Password-Type via the TestRequest Properties window. From the Auth tab of the request, Username, Password, and Authentication Type are configurable and NOT WWS Password-Type. In addition the default value for Authentications Type in 4.x was "Global HTTP Settings". A common pattern for test configuration was to use only the TestRequest Properties window to configure the 4 options noted.

In 5.0.0, the Authentication Type changed the default from "Global HTTP Settings" to "No Authorization", and is no longer configurable/editable on TestRequest Properties. The only way to configure the same case on 5.0.0 is always edit in the Auth tab and then change WWS Password-Type in the TestRequest Properties.

If a 5.0.0 user creates a case with Authentication Type equals "No Authorization", then the 4.5.1 runner (and UI) will choke, the runner will throw this error when trying to run the request:

org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.values.XmlValueOutOfRangeException: string value 'No Authorization' is not a valid enumeration value for type of authType element.

Since "No Authorization" is a new option for 5.0.0 and "Global HTTP Settings" was the default, I think making "Global HTTP Settings" should be the default in 5.0.0. In addition, please make Authentication Type editable in TestRequest Properties in 5.0.0

4 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I have logged the bug, it's # SOAP-2253.
    The workaround is be to open the project in SoapUI Pro version 5.0 and select the authentication that had been configured previously, then save the project.
    The TestRunner also should be the latest version.

Regards,

Giscard
    SmartBear Support
    hazem_borham
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks.

Question, How can I track the progress and target fix version of SOAP-2253? Is the bug repo open to pro users?
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,

The bug is associated with this post, but we only track it internally and would reply here once fixed. It's up to our Product Owner to prioritize it though, so we may not have an ETA until a fix is released.

Regards,

Giscard
    SmartBear Support
    Liberty_Informa
    Regular Contributor
    We are also facing this issue.

The reply-back process really needs change. Do you expect me to login to this forum every day to check is my issue resolved? I think this is too much expectation from the community. What you guys can do is email to the concerned person once issue has been resolved and simultaneously update on thread for the benefit of other people. I hope this makes more sense.