Forum Discussion

Rinze
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Problems in Ready API NG PRO with special charcaters like ÇÐÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÑÒÓÔÖÕØÙÚÛÜÝÞß

HTTP request with special characters in the response XML.

Special characters like ÇÐÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÑÒÓÔÖÕØÙÚÛÜÝÞß.

Encoding is <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no" ?>

In SoapUI 5.0.0 these characters are displayted correctly.

In the new Ready API NG PRO 1.3.0 these characters are nog displayed correctly anymore, same test, same project etc.

SoapUI 5.0.0 displays <tag>ÇÐÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÑÒÓÔÖÕØÙÚÛÜÝÞß</tag>

Ready API NG PRO 1.3.0 displays <tag>������������������������</tag>

Setting the encoding in the request properties does not help.

23 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    Just a quick check, are you sure that there is no change in the application behaviour that you test also.
      Rinze
      Occasional Contributor

The application code is exactly the same build so there are no changes. The only difference is the SoapUI version.

Rinze
      Occasional Contributor

I got an email but I dont see any new reply on my question. So here again:

The application code is exactly the same build so there are no changes. The only difference is the SoapUI version.

Rinze
      Occasional Contributor

Hello SmartBear peoples,

Is anybody ever going to react on this again?

TanyaYatskovska
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Rinze,

I’ve asked our R&D team to investigate this behavior. I’ll get back to you when I have some news from them.

@community, is there anybody who sees a similar issue?

AV

Hello, Rinze!

Thanks for posting this issue. It seems we already have fixed it in 1.4.0, but it would be great to get service to check our fix. Could you provide us your sample project?

TanyaYatskovska

Hi Ranze,

AS AV said, the issue was likely to be fixed in Ready! API 1.4. Could you please install the latest product version and check if the issue persists?

If it occurs again, our R&D team would like to get a sample project that reproduces the issue. Please let us know the results of your investigation.

Rinze
        Occasional Contributor

Hi Tanya,

I have installed Ready API NG PRO 1-4-1 and the issue still occurs. When I check the tab with the raw output I do see the correct values:

<tag>ÇÐÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÑÒÓÔÖÕØÙÚÛÜÝ</tag>

The XML, HTML, Outline and Overview tab show this:

<tag>����������������������</tag>

In the old SoapUI 5.0 all tabs show this:

<tag>ÇÐÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÑÒÓÔÖÕØÙÚÛÜÝ</tag>

I added the project to the post.

Rinze

• While waiting for 1.5 to come out, here is something to try, which I found in a SmartBear Community post late last year, when I experienced a similar problem.

Try adding -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 in the file ReadyAPI-1.4.0.vmoptions in the ReadyAPI bin directory under c:\Program Files\SmartBear - assuming UTF-8 is your choice of encoding. I found I had to add this every time I upgraded since 1.3.0, for my tests to work.

For the developer on this thread - if this is a valid work-around while waiting for 1.5 (hey, I'm trying to stay on topic :smileyhappy:) - in the forum I found both -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 (no hyphen) and -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 (with the hyphen). Which is correct?

kieron_horide-h
        New Contributor

Understood. I was thinking this might be a work-around to try, allowing users to stay on the normal upgrade path.

However, the maintenance build doesn't fix my problem - in SoapUI NG, the Raw view of the request shows M?ori ???? in a value, where in the Form view it has Māori ĀĀāā (the header has Content-Type: application/xml; charset=utf-8 ). the request fails server-side validation because of the '?' characters. This problem is resolved by adding -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 to the vmoptions file.