Forum Discussion

F5_Networks_Sup
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

Cannot Add Assertions

Hello,

I've seen this issue crop up around the forum, but haven't spotted an answer yet. I'm having issues with the "Add Assertions" dialogue box. I cannot click on any of the assertion categories on the left. If I click on, say, "SLA," multiple times, SLA eventually becomes highlighted (after a delay) but I can't see the SLA assertions on the right side of the dialogue box. As soon as I do this my laptop starts grinding away, but nothing happens.

I'm using SoapUI Pro 4.6.1 on a 64 bit Win 7 machine.

To recreate: I'm essentially following the SoapUI tutorial with the Weather service identified in the tutorial steps (http://wsf.cdyne.com/WeatherWS/Weather.asmx). I'm attempting to create a test based on the GetCityForecastByZip request and adding an SLA assertion to that test (per the tutorial). Note: I have encountered this issue outside of working the tutorial, however.

I've attached a screenshot of what the window looks like with SLA highlighted but displaying only the "Contains" assertion which is a "Recently Used" assertion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to SoapUI so hoping there is something obvious I'm missing.

Thanks!

12 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,

I can not reproduce that problem. I am able to use the SLA assertion with the weather service in a SoapUI project. I see you have "Recently Used" and "SLA" highlighted at the same time in the screen shot which could be causing the problem (I'm unable to highlight both at the same time). Only the "SLA" category should be highlighted if you want to use an assertion from that category. Can you attach your project to see if I can reproduce with it?

Regards,
    Marcus
    SmartBear Support
    F5_Networks_Sup
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks for the quick response. I have attached the project. Keep in mind, I experience this issue with other projects as well and remember seeing it before I used the Pro version as well. I'm wondering if there are some local configs or temp files that I can try clearing that may help solve this. I seemed to remember the VERY FIRST TIME I opened the Assertions Dialogue box (again when I used the free version of SoapUI) everything worked fine and every time thereafter I seem to be getting this result.

Thanks again for your support.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi,

I'm able to use your attached project and add the SLA assertion.
    Have you tried restarting SoapUI Pro since encountering the problem?

You may need to reinstall SoapUI Pro if you have restarted and still encountering this problem.

Regards,
    Marcus
    SmartBear Support
    F5_Networks_Sup
    Occasional Contributor
    Ok I think I need to try reinstalling. Do you recommend deactivating the license first and then using the key again when I reinstall? Also do you recommend using the SoapUI uninstaller or uninstalling through Windows > Control Panel > Programs and Features? Need the most clean uninstall possible. Thank you.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi,

Use the SoapUI Pro uninstaller. You do not need to deactivate the license before uninstalling.

Regards,
    Marcus
    SmartBear Support
    F5_Networks_Sup
    Occasional Contributor
    I tried using the SoapUI Uninstaller and then reinstalling. Still getting the same issue. I noticed when I opened SoapUI again after reinstalling that it loaded the same project I had open when I uninstalled. Are there additional folders/files I can try deleting along with uninstall that will guarantee a clean uninstall? It's clear there are still some settings/files that persist.

Update: ok I've noticed that if I get rid of the default-soapui-workspace.xml, and soapui-settings.xml sitting in my Users\<username> folder, I get a clear workspace and I see all of the Assertions in the Property Content category. However, I still cannot get into any other categories such as "SLA."
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi,

Please attach the .log files in <SoapUI install>\bin folder. Also try creating a new project and see if you still have the same problem.

Regards,
    Marcus
    SmartBear Support
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi!

I've have also a hard time reproducing this.
    The only thing I could conclude from the logs are that you might have a badly configured SSL configuration in SoapUI.
    Could you go File -> Preferences -> SSL Settings and verify that there's nothing configured there.

--
    Regards

Erik
    SmartBear Sweden
      gavborges

I ran into the same issues and after clicking around I believe I found what you may be looking for. When you click one one of the Assertions ("SLA" for example), the "Add" button is disabled. However if you then select one of the options from the Right window pane (in this example, click on "Response SLA") the "Add" button will now become enabled. Hope this helps. Screenshots attached to help illustrate.

HolyA
        Occasional Contributor

Hi!

I have this exact same problem as described here. I'm not new using SoapUI, been doing it for a couple years, however it's a new install on a new PC and I can't figure for the life of me what's going on. Nothing in the logs either :/

Help! Thanks!