Forum Discussion

Said
Contributor
5 years ago

java.lang.NullPointerException when sorting project properties

I have 146 project properties that I would like to sort. I have found this post. I modified the code a bit to sort project properties. See below: 

def obj = testRunner.testCase.testSuite.project
log.info "Number of Properties: " + obj.getPropertyCount();

def propList = []; // Arraylist to store properties
obj.getPropertyList().each { prop -> // For all Project (custom) properties
	propList.add(prop.name);  // Add it to the arraylist
}
def sortedList = propList.sort(); // Sort the array list
def index = 0
sortedList.each { name -> 	// Loop the sorted ArrayList
	log.info index + " - " + name + " - " + obj.getPropertyValue(name)
	obj.moveProperty(name, index); // Get Project (custom) property by name an move it to sorted position
	index++
}

I randomly get "java.lang.NullPointerException" when running the code at red statement above. I does however sort 4 to 10 properties before I get the error. So each time I re-run the code I get a bit further before I get error message. So I managed to get the properties sorted. 

But why am I getting this error?

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3

Said ,

I believe, no custom script is needed to sort any level properties.

Have you not tried the out-of-the-box sort properties ? There is an icon with "up/down arrorw" symbol which does the same. Isn't what you want?

Said
      Contributor

That only works in that specific screen (project properties screen). Take for example the property transfer test step: you cannot sort the target properties there. I have plus 150 porperties that I cannot sort in this screen. That is the reason I want to sort the project properties. Then they are also sorted in property transfer test step.