Ask a Question

Struggling to parameterize an assertion value in groovy script

richie
Community Hero

Struggling to parameterize an assertion value in groovy script

Hi,

I have a script assertion (courtesy of @nmrao) which verifies an .json response's specific attribute is the same value for repeating groups within the response.  It is as follows:

assert context.response, 'Request parameter is correct'
def json = new groovy.json.JsonSlurper().parseText(context.response)
//assert json.data.Name.every{1== it}
//OR the next line assert json.data.Name.every{context.expand('${REST Request#Name}') == it} //this is the same assertion as the previous line except I'm parameterizing the assertion's expected result value

I have a script (yet again, courtesy of @nmrao) that dynamically builds a GET REST request using template/URI and query parameter values from properties set on the test case and a Properties step

//Script developed by Rao
//import decs import groovy.json.* import wslite.rest.* def serviceHost = context.expand ('${#Project#TestEndpoint}') //'https://whatevs.azurewebsites.net' //Below to handle template parameter, additional $ required before def getNamespaceDatasetPath = '''/api/1/${namespace}/${dataset}''' //define all template param values as shown below def binding = [namespace : context.expand( '${#TestCase#namespace}') , dataset : context.expand('${#TestCase#dataset}')] //def binding = [namespace : 'certification-nomenclature', dataset : 'certification-nomenclature'] def template = new groovy.text.SimpleTemplateEngine().createTemplate(getNamespaceDatasetPath) def queryParams = [:] //Get the properties of Property Test step context.testCase.testSteps["Properties"].properties.each { queryParams[it.key] = it.value.value } def client = new RESTClient(serviceHost) def response = client.get(path: template.make(binding) as String, accept: ContentType.JSON, query : queryParams ) assert response.statusCode == 200 log.info groovy.json.JsonOutput.prettyPrint(response.text) def object = new JsonSlurper().parseText(response.text) assert object.header.success == true

I wanted to add in the assertion (from the script assertion) into my groovy script test step - now if I copy in the script assertion making a couple of changes - the script assertion works in the groovyscript but ONLY if I use the hardcoded assertion line, rather than the parameterized line.

assert json.data.Name.every{1== it}  //hardcoded line
assert json.data.Name.every{context.expand('${REST Request#Name}') == it}  //parameterized line

So my attempt at the complete groovy script is as follows:

//Script developed by Rao
//import decs
import groovy.json.*
import wslite.rest.*

def serviceHost = context.expand ('${#Project#TestEndpoint}') //'https://whatevs.azurewebsites.net'
//Below to handle template parameter, additional $ required before
def getNamespaceDatasetPath = '''/api/1/${namespace}/${dataset}'''
//define all template param values as shown below
def binding = [namespace : context.expand( '${#TestCase#namespace}') ,  dataset : context.expand('${#TestCase#dataset}')]
//def binding = [namespace : 'certification-nomenclature', dataset : 'certification-nomenclature']

def template = new groovy.text.SimpleTemplateEngine().createTemplate(getNamespaceDatasetPath)

def queryParams = [:]
//Get the properties of Property Test step
context.testCase.testSteps["Properties"].properties.each {
	queryParams[it.key] = it.value.value
}
def client = new RESTClient(serviceHost)
def response = client.get(path: template.make(binding) as String,
					 accept: ContentType.JSON,
					 query : queryParams
					 )
assert response.statusCode == 200
log.info groovy.json.JsonOutput.prettyPrint(response.text)

def object = new JsonSlurper().parseText(response.text)

assert object.header.success == true

assert response.text, 'Request parameter is correct' //This line was context.response rather than response.text in the script assertion //def json = new groovy.json.JsonSlurper().parseText(response.text) //this line isn't needed as I already pass the response to the object variable above assert object.data.CertificateType_Name.every{'Other certificates'== it} //groovy executes and passes
//OR assert object.data.CertificateType_Name.every{context.expand('${REST Request#CertificateType_Name}') == it} //groovy executes but this assertion fails

Essentially when I comment out the hardcoded line and uncomment the parameterized line - the assertion fails.

I have spent the last 2 days playing with this trying to get the parameterized line working.  I have 2000 tests to create in ReadyAPI! and this is one of the final problems to my being able to parameterize a large percentage of my tests so I could just have 1 looping test case and just datasource all the requests.

Can anyone see what I'm missing? - I keep thinking I've spotted the problem, but I just don't know enough about groovy to spot it

Many thanks to all!

richie

if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta
2 REPLIES 2
nmrao
Community Hero

What does it show if you print

log.info context.expand('${REST Request#CertificateType_Name}')
log.info object.data.CertificateType_Name

Again, it would make life easier, less number of iterations and less time if relevant data available at hand.

Regards,
Rao.
richie
Community Hero

Hahaha

I'm sorry - I know, I know - I've been doing this for 20 years since uni (getting old now :()- you'd think I'd remember to plug in the evidence to my ticket - it's the same as raising a defect!

Anyway - attached is the payload that's generated when the groovy step (entitled 'REST Request')

I added in the 2 lines to the code as follows:

assert object.data.CertificateType_Name.every{'Other certificates'== it} //this works fine
//assert object.data.CertificateType_Name.every{context.expand('${REST Request#CertificateType_Name}') == it}

log.info context.expand('${REST Request#CertificateType_Name}')
log.info object.data.CertificateType_Name

Results from the logging is as follows:

INFO: {the generated response goes here}

INFO:

INFO: [Other Certificates, Other Certificates]

Resultant from adding the logging - obviously the script is not finding CertificateType_Name property attached to the groovy step.

Ok - I've found a way around this - because I'm using the JDBC step's script assertion to query the db first for that particular property and write it out to the Properties step - if I point the assertion back at the value written in the Properties step - the parameterized assertion works.

assert object.data.CertificateType_Name.every{context.expand('${Properties#CertificateType_Name}') == it}

but only for some of the tests - I think this might be a datatype issue - but I need to think about it a bit more first.

@nmrao - please don't bother looking at this yet - I don't want to waste your time - I might be able to spot the problem.

Thanks - I appreciate the consideration! 🙂

richie

if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: