Forum Discussion

Chris_Moesel
Occasional Contributor
17 years ago

Setup, Teardown, and Global Properties

I would like the notion of true global properties (For at least a test suite).  So, I set some properties for a test suite and those properties are available to all testcases and steps in that suite.

One way to do this that would add even more flexibility for future things is the notion of setup and teardown steps on test suites.  Allow the user to specify steps that should be run before *every* test case in the suite and/or after *every* test case in the suite.  Then I could accomplish global properties by making a properties "setup" step for a test suite.

JUnit has the notion of setup and teardown methods-- soapUI should learn from JUnit and adopt what works well.  Then I wouldn't have to put the same properties step in every single test case.

Thanks for your consideration!

3 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Chris,

thanks for your suggestions.. actually this is somewhat in line with what we have planned:

1) setup/teardown groovy scripts for both testcases, testsuites and mockservices
    2) testcase/testsuite-level properties which will be available as default properties in scripts
    3) "TestSchedules", which basically is a parameterized setup of an arbitrary combination of testsuites/testcases within a project (ie "Run TestSuite 1 with these properties and TestCase3 in TestSuite3 with these...")

how does that match your ideas?

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    Chris_Moesel
    Occasional Contributor
    Ole--

That sounds excellent.  You nearly read my mind.  Are you able to say-- are these features something I might see in a 1.8 release or do I have to wait a little longer for a 2.0 release?

-Chris
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Chris,

I think TestSchedules will be in the 2.0 release, the others should make it into 1.8..

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com