Forum Discussion

bmgriner
Frequent Contributor
14 years ago

Setting Properties off of groovy assertion script

I am trying to set a test case level property off of a groovy script assertion and I keep getting null pointer errors. I assume the way to do it is as follows:
context.testRunner.testCase.getProperty("someProperty").setValue("somevalue")

Am I doing something wrong here?

3 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    bmgriner wrote:
    I am trying to set a test case level property off of a groovy script assertion and I keep getting null pointer errors. I assume the way to do it is as follows:
    context.testRunner.testCase.getProperty("someProperty").setValue("somevalue")

Am I doing something wrong here?

Hello!

context.testRunner is null in script assertions. Try this instead:

messageExchange.modelItem.testStep.testCase.setPropertyValue( "My property", "The new value" )

Regards!

Good thing you asked this -- I've now added it to the soapUI Tips & Tricks page.

/Henrik
    eviware.com
      ilovechiku
      Contributor

Can you use

messageExchange.modelItem.testStep.testCase.setPropertyValue( "My property", "The new value" )

to get properties back to next request and next assertion of the response? 

wjblazek
        Occasional Contributor

Script assertions can also access property step properties through the messageExchange object:

def var = messageExchange.modelItem.testStep.testCase.getTestStepByName("propertyStepName").getPropertyValue("propertyName")
        messageExchange.modelItem.testStep.testCase.getTestStepByName("propertyStepName").setPropertyValue("propertyName", propNameNewValued)

It would be good to add this to the "Tips & Tricks" page too.