Forum Discussion

rajs2020
Frequent Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

Run TestCase Test Step - Property values are not getting set

I have a run test case step in Test1. This step calls a test Test2 which has two input properties. I provide values for the two inputs in Test1. But, the values are not passed to Test2, i.e. the values are empty or blank in Test2. Why could this be happening? Is there an easy way to figure this out?

PS - Logically, this seems like a simple function call, e.g. addNumbersStep(2,5) => addNumbersTestCase(num1, num2). But, it does not seem simple to accomplish in ReadyAPI. So, I don't know what I am missing here. As an aside, I am using Peforce for source control which has its own quirks (e.g. write protecting ReadyAPI files). So, for some problems its hard to figure out if its a ReadyAPI problem or Perforce problem.

richie
    4 years ago
    Hey rajs2020,

I used to notice a problem (on REST and SOAP APIs and test steps) where id update a value and click 'Save' without moving the focus out of the field id updated.
    If i closed ReadyAPI! at that point the altered values wouldnt persist. I got into the habit of:

1. Alter value
    2. Click into a different completely field within the UI (different API or test step)
    3. Click 'Save'

This appeared to solve my problem. It was a while ago and perhaps i noticed it occurring when i had version3.

Ta

Rich

4 Replies

• rajs2020 : It would be helpful if you can attach a screenshot of flow which you have created and at which point values are not getting passed.

richie
    Community Hero
    Hey rajs2020,

Also, can you confirm which version youre using? I'm running the latest so I'll try and replicate.

Ta

Rich
      rajs2020
      Frequent Contributor

I am using 3.0 and I cannot upgrade it. The problem magically got resolved.

I remembered saving everything in my project and still the values were not getting passed. Today, when I opened ReadyAPI again, the values passed via Test1 were blank. I entered them again, saved them and the test passed. I closed ReadyAPI and those values are still there as desired. So, I don't know what really happened. Many of my ReadyAPI problems, but not all problems, go away by simply reloading the project or by restarting ReadyAPI. But, its annoying to have such problems and reload/restart to fix them. 

richie
        Community Hero
        Hey rajs2020,

I used to notice a problem (on REST and SOAP APIs and test steps) where id update a value and click 'Save' without moving the focus out of the field id updated.
        If i closed ReadyAPI! at that point the altered values wouldnt persist. I got into the habit of:

1. Alter value
        2. Click into a different completely field within the UI (different API or test step)
        3. Click 'Save'

This appeared to solve my problem. It was a while ago and perhaps i noticed it occurring when i had version3.

Ta

Rich